FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lightpanels Patent issue puts LED lighting industry in jeopardy? (comment deadline Oct 13!!)

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Davis
Lightpanels Patent issue puts LED lighting industry in jeopardy? (comment deadline Oct 13!!)
on Oct 4, 2012 at 8:26:07 pm

This just hit Reddit's front page.

If you use LED technology, check it out.

I have no way to verify the statement's possible accuracy, but on it's face, if true it's extremely troubling for our industry and you might want to add your comments to the site.

http://patentfreeled.com

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Lightpanels Patent issue puts LED lighting industry in jeopardy? (comment deadline Oct 13!!)
on Oct 5, 2012 at 4:21:36 pm

A pretty blatant patent troll; what I think they are doing is just trying to intimidate the small mom and pop shops popping up overseas. They can't win the patent case, but they don't need to: they only need to make competitirs waste a lot of money on the process of fighting the patent troll, until they give up.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Lightpanels Patent issue puts LED lighting industry in jeopardy? (comment deadline Oct 13!!)
on Oct 7, 2012 at 3:46:01 am

So if this is an accurate reflection of their strategy - what does it say about whether we should support LightPanels as a company with our purchase decisions?

I admire companies who compete with innovation and by providing value to their customers.

What about companies who spend resources to compete not via their products, but rather via their legal or marketplace clout.

(And yes, I realize that this can be leveled at Apple, Samsung, and virtually all modern "big" enterprises as a class - WAY beyond LED lighting)

The point is how to we assess where IP theft and Patent tolling intersect - and how we as consumers can become informed as to how to spend our money, accordingly.

Complex question in this era.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]