FORUMS: list search recent posts

lighting up a 16 feet x 16 feet room for video recording

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Temitope Amoo
lighting up a 16 feet x 16 feet room for video recording
on Sep 29, 2012 at 4:44:21 pm

Hello. I need help with lighting a 16x16 room with 2 kino flo 4banks and a 300w par can as backlight. Settled for this because the setup will be fixed and also because of heat and power consideration. Pls wat do u think?

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
Re: lighting up a 16 feet x 16 feet room for video recording
on Sep 29, 2012 at 5:09:26 pm

I think you should not worry about lighting a room and instead light for the people, event, or subject you're shooting IN that room.
You have 3 lights. It appears to be fait accompli the way you've presented it.
You've already decided what you're doing. You said your PAR was your backlight; then your 2 Kino's must be some combination of sidelight and frontlight.

By the way, there's no law that says one of your Kinos couldn't be your backlight -- and your PAR the Keylight.
Don't "paint yourself into the corner" of your 16'x 16' space.
DS

Return to posts index

Temitope Amoo
on Sep 29, 2012 at 5:14:53 pm

Thanks. I need the room well lit because an individaul paces to and from. Its more of a stage set up. So I was wondering if the individual will b well lit irrespective of where he is in the room.

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Sep 29, 2012 at 5:15:59 pm

Temitope,

I had exactly the same reaction as Dennis when I saw your title line; you don't light a room (unless it's for a real estate advert or architectural magazine) you light the people "in the room".

I also agree with Dennis (great minds think alike!) that the PAR could make an excellent key light; two old-school techniques are either through a hanging "shower curtain" or dangling roll of heavy white diffusion like Lee 216, or even bounced off a 4x4 foamcore. Then use the Kinos for backlight and fill (if necessary).

JS

Return to posts index

Temitope Amoo
on Sep 29, 2012 at 5:26:20 pm

Oops! I need to add that the lights will b hung on the wall. So is this set up bright enough for...let's say...an interview session?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]