FORUMS: list search recent posts

Question about halogen vs led lighting

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Parsons
Question about halogen vs led lighting
on Aug 30, 2012 at 2:22:57 pm

I am using a Panasonic hpx250 and am contemplating getting the Anton Bauer ELIPZ 10K battery and an on-camera light.

Bauer makes 2 lights, the EIGHTZ, which is hologen, and the ELEDZ, which is an led light -- with dimming.

I really like the dimming feature of the latter light. However, I have seen stage lighting that uses led lights and didn't like them particularly.

So, should I just adjust my liking to led, or is there a general preference for halogen.

Many thanks, Bill

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Question about halogen vs led lighting
on Aug 31, 2012 at 4:04:08 am

Two totally different light emitting technologies.

Halogen is a clearer, more color balanced version of the "one bulb" approach we're used to with tungsten. But it STILL gobbles up most of it's power consumption in the form of heat. It's necessarily inefficient. (Heck, I have a popcorn popper that uses 3 halogen shop light bulbs to heat the oil! That's shows you were the majority of the energy is going.

LED lamps are astonishingly more power efficient and toss most of the energy out in light rather than heat.

BUT (and it's a big but) LED arrays essentially project stripes of light, not even light fields. So they can be a problem to control. Barn Doors, shuttters, flags and other typical light controls FAIL nearly totally when it comes to LED technology unless it's packaged in some kind of "single point" bulb form.

For an on-camera OBIE style light, that's not a particularly big deal. But just understand that any "on camera" light is a one trick pony and used without care, can turn your video into moving drivers license photos.

That's certainly better than no light on a subject at all. But seldom a way to make people look their best in any video.

FWIW.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]