FORUMS: list search recent posts

FloLight CycLight: experience / opinion ?

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Hurwicz
FloLight CycLight: experience / opinion ?
on Jul 12, 2012 at 7:37:48 pm

Wondering if anyone has any experience with or opinion on the FloLight CycLight. It's an LED lighting fixture designed for greenscreen lighting where space limitations don't allow you to position the subject as far from the greenscreen as you might like. (http://www.flolight.com/led-lighting/cyclight.html)

It hasn't been released yet, but it's been demo'd at a couple of shows, including IBC 2011 and NAB 2012 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPxfs6O5Sfk).

Return to posts index

Rick Wise
Re: FloLight CycLight: experience / opinion ?
on Jul 12, 2012 at 8:07:23 pm

Looks a bit like a hidden advert to me... The light itself looks to be brilliant, and somewhat costly. Terrific idea, eliminating most of the green bounce-back. Looks like a rather narrow width, meaning you'd need quite a few of these for a decent-sized green screen, anything more than head and shoulders. $1,200 each.... But for corporate talking heads no wider than head-and-shoulders, possibly terrific.

Rick Wise
Cinematographer
San Francisco Bay Area
http://www.RickWiseDP.com

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jul 12, 2012 at 8:18:39 pm

I'm with Rick... I've never seen that before, but it sure is an interesting idea. I'd love to see a real one actually in action.

And... it is, incidentally, another example of the baffling phenomenon where people in our own industry put out some of the worst most gawd-awful self-promotion and demo videos. Why is that??? You'd think our own industry would put out some of the best stuff, but it's almost always among the worst of the let-me-wag-around-my-grandpa's-handicam bad YouTube-quality stuff.

Oops, I'm on a completely off-topic soapbox...

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Michael Hurwicz
on Jul 12, 2012 at 9:46:09 pm

> Looks a bit like a hidden advert to me ...

I have no relationship with FloLight, and have never even communicated with anyone at FloLight, ever. I put this post up 100% on my own initiative, with no intention of advertising anything. Signed in blood, Mike

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jul 12, 2012 at 9:57:32 pm

How is this better/cheaper than making a frame with flo tubes behind a translucent green background sheet?
I *guess* it would be more compact.

The gadget sits on the floor near the backdrop, so you can only use it for bust-type shots, not full-body. A backlit sheet could shoot full-body. without any objects underfoot to roto out.

Is this rig any more expensive than the reflecmedia setup? That would be the competition for this, I'm guessing, and the advantage to the flolight would be that it doesn;t prevent using a prompter head.

But I can't get over the feeling that it's just a fancier version of the old clamshell scoop that lit cycs for over a century.

Return to posts index

Michael Hurwicz
on Jul 18, 2012 at 5:48:10 pm

> making a frame with flo tubes behind a translucent green background sheet?

Mark, is the translucent green background sheet made of cloth -- or what?

Return to posts index

Michael Hurwicz
on Jul 18, 2012 at 5:50:44 pm

Also, how far in back of the screen have you put the tubes, in order to get an even dispersion of light across the screen?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jul 18, 2012 at 6:14:18 pm

If I was going to make one like that? Translucent vinyl shower curtain-type material, maybe, or a sandwich with green gels and rolux, perhaps. Something with diffusion properties.

Return to posts index

Rick Wise
on Jul 12, 2012 at 10:04:42 pm

Mike, I believe you. However, it looks like Cow has pulled this thread: it is not listed in the lighting forum that I can see. It lives on in this special little space....

Rick Wise
Cinematographer
San Francisco Bay Area
http://www.RickWiseDP.com

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jul 12, 2012 at 10:33:37 pm

It still shows right up on the forum for me, Rick (at present still the top thread listed)...

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Michael Hurwicz
on Jul 12, 2012 at 10:36:31 pm

> ... it looks like the Cow has pulled this thread.

I'm still seeing the thread, even when I'm not logged in.

Everyone, thanks for your thoughts and questions!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jul 12, 2012 at 10:40:45 pm

WE'RE OFF THE GRID, MAN!!!!! In the space between worlds.

Return to posts index

Michael Hurwicz
on Jul 12, 2012 at 10:48:06 pm

> WE'RE OFF THE GRID, MAN!!!!! In the space between worlds.

Been happening to me every so often since the late 60's ...

Return to posts index

Mike Caruana
on May 11, 2014 at 2:07:04 pm

Forgot I was even on the waitlist for this (been using a pair of Ghetto Flos). Got a call a few weeks ago, ordered it, and it's now setup. Here are my impressions, without playing around too much:

First, there is no way to place this light a foot away from the screen, like the video shows. It will not light evenly. Standard rule of half the width back works best -- with my 8ft screen and the flowlight 4ft back, everything is perfect. I did have to flag off reflections from the ceiling since I don't have much height to work with.

On the plus side, it is very easy to set this up. Even though the light is 4ft from the screen, talent can get closer than flos, since there is little to no spill (just so long as the divas I am using are positioned so they don't hit the screen). I like the green LEDS, in fact, I was able to use this light without a screen on a white wall and key it perfectly. I was about to replace the Ghetto Flos with Tegras so that I could have more control, but that's not necessary now.

Dimming is nice. Let's you get it even, a little closer, and slightly darker than talent. Keying is a breeze. Was able to simply use default settings in ultrakey with CS5 and get it perfect with no tinkering.

Overall, I highly recommend the flowlight, especially if you are using a cheap setup (ebay umbrella kits, ghetto flos, etc) or need to start from scratch. What I would love on the next version, if it is even possible, is to be able to control beamspread height and width so that you can get it closer without hotspotting or having to flag off reflective surfaces in tight spaces, but I'm happy with mine and keeping it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]