FORUMS: list search recent posts

LED PAR Floodlights

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Schroeder
LED PAR Floodlights
on Jul 10, 2012 at 5:14:05 am

I have a homebuilt lighting rig that I've been using for 3 or 4 years now that uses all the same brand/make philips LED PAR floodlights as bulbs. It's been great for my lighting needs, never had a problem. But recently I upgraded from having clamp on garage lighting fixtures to actual PAR lighting cans and now I'm getting LED flicker on my camera which I never had before. The flicker is in darker areas and is noticeable as a bump in orange/brown saturation.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I did notice that the new PAR fixtures don't have polarized, or grounded plugs. My old Home Depot clamp on garage fixtures weren't grounded, but did have polarized plugs, could that possibly be the culprit?

I loved using these LED's because never got flicker in the past and they didn't get hot, plus they have a very netural color (about 4200k.) and a fairly high lumen output (about 1000.) I should note that they're not dimmable, so it's not an issue of them not being at full output.

Any advice here would be greatly appreciated

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: LED PAR Floodlights
on Jul 11, 2012 at 2:19:29 pm

They might be overheating in the new fixtures? Is the flicker something that happens instantly when turned on, or does it come on over time, after the thing has warmed up?

Return to posts index

Andy Schroeder
Re: LED PAR Floodlights
on Jul 11, 2012 at 6:34:29 pm

They were on for probably about an hour during the shoot.. It wasn't always noticeable either, mostly in the darker areas. But I'm fairly confident that it's not a camera problem as my blacks stayed black, and the brighter whites seemed fine. If you were looking at it on a waveform monitor it'd probably be somewhere in the area between 10 - 20% that had a flickering orange/brown sort of look. Which as I said never happened with the other fixtures.
They were the only light sources (it was night and no other lights were on)

The only other thing I can think of was that the room was fogged. It was the first time I've used that for a lighting effect, can the fog play into that somehow?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]