FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lowell light repair

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Carbo
Lowell light repair
on Jun 21, 2012 at 5:48:53 am

I've searched, but can't find a Los Angeles area Lowell light repair shop, authorized or not. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Lowell light repair
on Jun 21, 2012 at 4:38:18 pm

What are you trying to repair? Might be you can DIY with parts from the factory.

Return to posts index

Gary Carbo
on Jun 21, 2012 at 4:54:51 pm

I don't know. It just won't power up.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 21, 2012 at 5:13:36 pm

What model is it, and what have you checked so far? The bulb of course? What else?

Return to posts index

Gary Carbo
on Jun 21, 2012 at 8:27:39 pm

Omni, I changed the bulb, switched the power cords and finally opened it up. The wires look good (not frayed) Other than that nothing looks abnormal.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 21, 2012 at 9:34:18 pm

I would next try yet another fresh bulb from another instrument in he kit, and if it still didn't light, after changing our cords and switch, that just leaves the socket.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jun 22, 2012 at 12:20:13 am

Sounds like a bad socket. Lowel lights are meant to be field repaired. Probably a 15 minute job once you have the part in hand.

Simple test is to check socket continuity with a known good bulb.
First test the continuity of the test bulb out of the socket. They can have hairline cracks in the filament that can't be seen, so test before to be sure and avoid false negatives. Avoid power cycle 'hot testing' lamps, since this only confirms it works now. It (the filament) could open when it cools off. A continuity test with a VOM is the way to go.
Second, plug your known good bulb into the socket, and check the continuity from the power cord socket to the lamp socket. If there is no continuity or high resistance, replace the socket.
Once lamp sockets start to get loose, they arc and pit the socket contacts, which in turn causes more looseness and so on...
In an emergency sometimes it's possible to get some life out of a dead socket by scraping the contacts with some type of improvised tool. In this case a tight fitting drill bit may work. Be sure that you are not powered up. If the socket is dead, it can't make it worse. But it might give you a couple of hours. Maybe. Of course this is at your risk.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

Gary Carbo
on Jun 22, 2012 at 4:12:36 am

Thank you I'll give it try.

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Jun 29, 2012 at 5:31:28 pm

Lowell is good about sending you the parts you'll need.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]