FORUMS: list search recent posts

So is there any real competition to light panels 1x1?

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Al Bergstein
So is there any real competition to light panels 1x1?
on Mar 16, 2012 at 6:14:44 am

Seems many pros use them. Is there no real competition of quality vs price? I see Roscoe etc. is build quality vs output not really there? Currently using flourecents.

Al

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: So is there any real competition to light panels 1x1?
on Mar 16, 2012 at 7:07:23 am

That depends on your definition of "quality."

For those with the budget, the Lightpanels stuff it built great - has a robust service network, and is a top notch product.

When you pay top prices, you can expect more precision engineering. Longer lifespan. An "ecosystem" of accessories, mounts and first class design and engineering.

The light emitters in them, however, could well be exactly the same as those in a Chinese unit costing vastly less.

Only you can say how much you value a particular nameplate, or intangibles like the quality of the light over issues like longevity and resale value.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Mar 16, 2012 at 5:56:45 pm

Sort of figured that. It's a real dilemma, as lighting gear seems like a much harder area to figure out high quality from just junk. I have used Lowell Lights for decades as they are true workhorses. The newer LED seem more fragile in general, and seem to have very similar mfg. characteristics, at least on the surface. The Flourescents I'm using are nice, but not quite as portable for general shooting. Their good, but I think that adding the LEDs might give me closer to daylight.

I'll have to see about getting in front of these next time in Seattle, which is a day trip for me.

Thanks though.

Al

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
on Mar 17, 2012 at 6:35:02 am

There are several fixtures we're using in addition to Lite Panels ....depending on the need, the studio, and the budget. Many of these fixtures are far brighter also.
You should check out the PRG NILA line of LED instruments -- which are used extensively in the field and in smaller studio applications. The Nila Boxer, an LED fixture at 250w, has the output of a 1500w Tungsten fresnel or an 800w HMI. The Nila SL, at 900w, matches a 6kw.
On the lower end we also use a lot of Elation products such as the ELATION OPTI QUAD LED PAR.
A personal favorite is the Philips Color Kinetics LED eWhite fixture -- which provides very good tungsten balance color rendition. I'm lighting a small studio next week using several dozen of them.
Many of my collegues swear by the Color Kinetics iWhite Blast TR -- in which you can dial in 3200 to 5600 kelvin. City Theatrical actually sells them in kits for ENG use.
The ARRI Broadcaster/ and Locaster fixtures are also excellent for ENG work.
I just saw a demo of a small LED softlight by PRG called the TruColor HS...WOW!
The better instrumentation, unfortunately, aren't cheap, but it's not easy being "green".

DS

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Mar 17, 2012 at 10:52:13 am

Thanks Dennis. I don't mind spending on quality gear. I'll give a look at the various models you mention. It's a bit hard to know what quality you are getting from just internet shopping. I'll drop down to Seattle soon and spend a day shopping.

Al

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Mar 19, 2012 at 12:03:27 am

Another poster on this forum who really knows his stuff,has always recommended the Arri Locaster as the best of all the LED lights out there.. for ENG on the road lighting situations.. if you dont mind paying for that quality..

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
on Mar 19, 2012 at 4:14:03 am

...and they are excellent.
The Nila fixtures are actually MORE expensive. When buying any of these smaller ENG LED Fixtures anticipate spending several thousand dollars for one complete light and accessories.
The CITY THEATRICAL iWhite package will be a bit less -- but they aren't the same quality as the Locaster.

DS

Return to posts index

Ken Zukin
on Mar 18, 2012 at 8:45:11 pm

What a treasure-trove of information -- thanks!!

Return to posts index

Tom Nelson
on Mar 21, 2012 at 4:19:33 pm

We've been using Coolights dimmable 600 LED panels for about a year now, and they've held up surprisingly well considering the price. We've shipped them, they've flown all over the country with us, and they've held up. We did have one power supply go bad, but I contacted Rich, the owner, and he had a replacement shipped out to me within days. I use them with a V-lock battery on the back to light the interiors of cars, and I also have the compatible softbox which also works surprisingly well.

http://www.coollights.biz/clled600-panel-dimmable-p-114.html

Are they built as tough as LitePanels? No. They've still worked out quite well for us, though.

Tom Nelson
Videographer/Editor
Essex Television Group

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]