FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lighting for a Warehouse scene

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rachel Radschlag
Lighting for a Warehouse scene
on Feb 27, 2012 at 3:24:46 pm

I'm going to be shooting videos in a warehouse a lot and don't know which type of light kit I should buy. The warehouse lights have a yellow color to them which I don't want translating to the video. I would prefer more of a white light as it is a corporate instructional video. Generally I'm going to be shooting a lot of large objects rather than any people, so I assume I need some different lighting techniques for that as well.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Lighting for a Warehouse scene
on Feb 27, 2012 at 3:34:41 pm

When you adjust your white balance, the yellow light will more or less look "white". However, various types of warehouse lighting like sodium vapor and mercury vapor lights, are very strong in one narrow part of the color spectrum, and it is devilishly diffcult to correct this.The "white" you get will be weak in some parts of the spectrum, affecting the color of flesh tones.

If you're working in just a smaller area of the warehouse under this kind of lighting, it might be less overall hassle, and better quality, to replace all the lighting with rented instruments like HMI lights or tungstens or even high CRI fluoresents. Depends on the size of the working area and the budget.

Return to posts index

Rachel Radschlag
on Feb 27, 2012 at 3:55:29 pm

I will be working in a small area of the large warehouse. I was thinking of purchasing some softbox light kits, would this type of lighting kit work? I don't want the light to be really concentrated, but rather fill the scene.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 27, 2012 at 5:38:49 pm

Define the actual dimensions of the area.

Return to posts index

Rachel Radschlag
on Feb 27, 2012 at 6:38:04 pm

the area i will be shooting in within the large warehouse is approximately a 30ft by 30 ft area.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 27, 2012 at 10:37:50 pm

Is it supposed to be moody, dark with pools of light, or all lit up bright, or something in-between?

Return to posts index

Rachel Radschlag
on Feb 28, 2012 at 2:23:57 pm

There will be a large machine in the center of the area that I am shooting. This will be the main focal point, but we want the whole area pretty lit up.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 28, 2012 at 4:03:18 pm

Think of the machine as if it was a car. The way they usually light car shots is to create a gigantic softlight bank, using a grid of lights shining into a very large white translucent diffusion material. The large white light-emitting surface reflects off the car, showing the contoura and defining the shape, meanwhiloe, the light is soft and doesn't make harsh shadows. Hanging it above lets you have 360 degrees of unobstructed view to shoot the thing from all sides. A dolly would be good here.

This is a bigger job than I have had to do, so don't take my word alone as gospel on any of this. But for this job, sight unseen, I think I would use either six or so large softboxes, hung from an overhead grid, or I would make and hang a large frame of diffusion material overhead, and hit it with a couple of strong HMI lights from above, or, if there was not room above, I'd bounce floor-standing HMI lights off a reflective white panel the size of the machine, hanging above the machine and maybe off to one side at a bit of an angle. Individual close-up sections, I would light with a single softlight as required.

You can get creative with the resources on hand: for example, mounting the lights on(and doing some camera shots from) a warehouse forklift or bucket truck to elevate them, if you lack a way to hang a grid.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]