FORUMS: list search recent posts

Looking to purchase some lights...want some advice

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Durwood Hibbard
Looking to purchase some lights...want some advice
on Feb 18, 2012 at 2:20:14 am

Greetings,
I currently use 250watt and 100watt shop flood lights with the glass frosted for lighting. I am looking to purchase some more "professional" lights. The primary use for these would be interview type set-ups. I don't have a large budget to work with but would rather spend a little extra up front rather than regretting it later. Around $500.00 would be the top of my range.
I have been looking at the fluorescent lights due to them being cheaper but was not sure what it is like to shoot with them.

I come to you, more knowledgeable minds, for advice and recommendations.

Thank you in advance for helping,
Durwood

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
Re: Looking to purchase some lights...want some advice
on Feb 19, 2012 at 12:05:44 am

USED LIGHTING.com has a few Altman #65Q 6" Fresnel fixtures for $89. Buy 3 of those to get yourself started. Use the rest of your budget for used c-stands and accessories.

DS

Return to posts index

Durwood Hibbard
on Feb 19, 2012 at 2:38:45 am

Thank you for the input I will have to take a look around that site......

another thought I had: What are some of the more reputable Lighting manufactures out there and who should be avoided?

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
on Feb 19, 2012 at 3:11:35 am

You're kidding right? You have $500 to spend! That doesn't even buy one light from a reputable lighting manufacturer. Considering your budget be thankful if you can find anything. As the saying goes "beggars can't be choosers".

DS

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 19, 2012 at 8:18:47 pm

Very basic 3 Flo but limited control (light shaping) but around your budget at $549
http://www.flolight.com/fluorescent-lighting/3-point-lighting-kit-330w-1500...

Return to posts index

Mark D'Agostino
on Feb 20, 2012 at 3:05:33 pm

Craig- have you used these lights? Are they color temp accurate or do they need green correction?

Mark D'Agostino
http://www.synergeticproductions.com

Return to posts index

Ken Zukin
on Feb 20, 2012 at 5:14:01 pm

Durwood,
You might keep an eye on your local Craigslist photo & video category.
What DS directed you to buy makes sense -- look for Arri or Mole Richardson fresnels: 650 or 1K -- you'll really need to double or triple your budget to assemble a workable lighting package. Search back thru this forum -- this topic has been covered extensively...

Return to posts index

Durwood Hibbard
on Feb 21, 2012 at 11:31:42 pm

Thank you again for the input guys. I am still very much in the looking stage.

As far as Dennis' input...I am very well aware of the cost of high end equipment from reputable companies. I have dealt with the audio side of things for around 10 years and know that you can get great equipment if you have the money to spend, but I also know that you can get good equipment that won't fall apart for a decent price.
I am not looking to buy a Bugatti Veyron Super Sports car(sweet car by the way), I am looking to by a lower end but durable set up that isn't going to fall apart after 1 or 2 uses. As stated earlier I appreciate you pointing me to the Used lighting site.
However, as far as only having a $500.00 budget...Yes that is all I have...If you are willing to make a donation of monetary value then I will gladly accept it, but I am far from begging for it.
Hence the reason I posted this question in the first place to find out what opinions people who "know" have on equipment.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 21, 2012 at 11:57:29 pm

Flolights have a good reputation. I don't own these lights because I'm looking for more control. I have seen them in person though. I don't think they'd need the minus green that you might need when using LED lights. Their LED series do offer minus green filters.

This does give you an idea about how to use so you can see they're quite serviceable and within your budget.
http://www.flolight.com/howtouselights

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]