FORUMS: list search recent posts

Working out lighting needs? (how??)

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
adam taylor
Working out lighting needs? (how??)
on Feb 10, 2012 at 2:42:15 pm

i need to try work out firstly, if my idea is feasible, and if it is - what lights i will need to be able to evenly light a greenscreen wall in a relatively small space. Also the lighting i would need to light a tabletop and a presenter demoing products.

Hopefully, i will be able to install this in my office in a room currently under utilised.

The aim will be to shoot table top product demos for use on the web.

The wall is 8 foot high,and up to 20foot wide. The ceiling height is governed by a suspended ceiling, and it may be possible to remove some tiles, although this could be difficult due to existing lighting and sprinkler system. I know i need to light this evenly, but i really don't know how best to achieve that. I guess someone will say Kinoflo, but i dont know how to work out which units are needed and how far apart they need to be, etc.

Usable distance from the intended chroma wall is 19 foot, so with the large table in position i should be able to have at least 6 foot behind the presenter, have a deep (4foot) desktop, and still have room for camera and light stands. Floor is not going to be seen on camera.

My current lights add up to a meagre 2 x Arri 650 tungstens, a broken Arri 150, and a battery powered paglite for on top of the camera! I would prefer to buy more efficient, cooler running lights due to the small room size and lack of headroom.

The camera i will be using is a Sony Z1 - which i know is not the best for green screen if recording to HDV, so i will be taking the component feed direct to a Matrox MX02le and recording in Prores422 at 1080.

I know i will be asked about budget - I have not discussed this with the boss until i know what i need to do the job right.

So - any advice you can offer would be very gratefully received!

thanks
Adam

Adam Taylor
Video Editor/Audio Mixer/ Compositor/Motion GFX/Barista
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

http://www.sculptedbliss.co.uk
My YouTube Animations Page

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Working out lighting needs? (how??)
on Feb 16, 2012 at 8:15:35 pm

Is the tabletop in the same shot as the chromakey wall, always? Or are we talking two setups in one space, taking turns?

Return to posts index

adam taylor
Re: Working out lighting needs? (how??)
on Feb 17, 2012 at 9:17:13 am

[Mark Suszko] "Is the tabletop in the same shot as the chromakey wall, always?

Yes

Or are we talking two setups in one space, taking turns?"

No

I have pretty much decided upon getting a whole heap of Flolight flouorescents. I reckon 4x 110w daylights to light the screen, with another 4 or 5 to use for the rest of the lighting, including one 220w and having a couple dimmable as well...

Colour balancing wont be a problem, as the room has no external light sources such as windows, and intend to use the same tubes throughout.

These look ideal for my needs, and are a fraction of the cost of Kinoflo's.

Adam Taylor
Video Editor/Audio Mixer/ Compositor/Motion GFX/Barista
Character Options Ltd
Oldham, UK

http://www.sculptedbliss.co.uk
My YouTube Animations Page

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]