FORUMS: list search recent posts

still photography jump from strobes to continuous light (bunch of questions)???!!

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
joe markus
still photography jump from strobes to continuous light (bunch of questions)???!!
on Feb 2, 2012 at 4:34:08 pm

hello there, i am a photographer with great love and respect for dop's
which i think make the best still photographers once u hit the pause button om a motion picture, the lighting is fabulous and the shot worth a few millions...
anyway lighting is lighting if its strobes continuous or even natural but i am falling in love with continuous what u see is what u get...
so to make the long story short i started by trying to understand how the system work studied tungsten lights par and Fresnel the cons and pro of it, also kino flo's systems and daylight balanced hmi's
with hmi came the technical part ballst electronic and magnet now dop's use the flicker free electronic so its better and maybe lighter i learned about how to plug them without the hazard of burning the house hence understanding the draw of electricity following the A=w/v and afterward the gauge of the cable of course and the length of it.
the only reason i am mentioning those details is that because i am not a gaffer nor a dop so i wanted you guys to know the limit of my knowledge so we can communicate...

my first question is can i use one arri ballast 575/1200 on both 575 and 1200 fresnel at the same time ?? or i should get 2 ballast in order 2 work these fresnels simultaneously??

my second question is that i got intimidated by tungsten fresnels and pars because of the heat they emit...a few years ago a friend was shooting a documentary he used a tungsten in my room placed next to my speakers which they almost melted because of the heat.So my question is are the new arri tungsten thing is better ? or should i gel the hmi with orange and play it safe ?

third questions i cant really understand the photo-metric thing in most of the light providers sites mainly because the calculate the angle of cam and the frames too which as you gentlemen knows i only have shutter speed aperture value and iso so is there anything related to still photography ?

4th question can u give me some reference to widen my knowledge on how to light scenes in location saying a big kitchen a hotel bedroom you know stuff that serve as foundation to narrative photography i don't want to do beauty shots and common model stuff a good reference i think is some of Peter Lindbergh work which i know he uses continuous light in his work.

thanks a lot i really do appreciate the help

Joe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]