FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lighting Control Assistance

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Bradley
Lighting Control Assistance
on Jan 24, 2012 at 10:46:38 pm

Hello,

I was wondering if someone could recommend a way to control 3 - 120-volt, 100-watt light bulbs. The light bulbs need to come on one at a time for one second at a time. This process needs to happen continuously 24/7/365.

It is a simple process but the only thing that I have come up with so far is building a board with a controller and 3 - relays. That is about $100.00 worth of material and a couple hours of labor. I would like to do this project with less labor given the fact that there are 70 - of these to build.

Thank you so much for the Help.

Jim

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Lighting Control Assistance
on Jan 25, 2012 at 4:58:15 pm

3 Ideas:

Build it with an Arduino board and some relays, Arduinos are $30, their programming langage is open-source and the code you need is likely already written and posted for free.

Or an old school 555 IC timing chip and $10 in Radio Shack parts will make a "Larson scanner", the output of which can be sent to high-power relays.

Or use a DMX controller from a Dj supply place to make lights "chase"?

Return to posts index

Jim Bradley
on Jan 25, 2012 at 7:09:20 pm

Hey Mark,

Thanks for the friendly advice sir.
Will any of these set ups be robust enough to run 24/7/365? Each of the 3 - light bulbs are pulling 100-watts at 120-volts.

Best To All,
Jim

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 25, 2012 at 7:58:05 pm

The circuit boards run on a 5 to 9-volt power supply, batteries or a wall wart transformer. The relays will have to be purpose-bought from an electrical contractor type store. They can switch house current, though the tripping signal to the relay may be very small. x-10 type relays are available online and maybe from radio shack as well: I don't know what their rated cycle life is though. I would see if you can hire an electrical engineer or ham radio expert to solder one up for you to test. It might help to know what the final product/effect actually is. Are you making fake traffic lights or something as displays?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]