FORUMS: list search recent posts

two point run and gun

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
stephen knifton
two point run and gun
on Jan 22, 2012 at 1:14:44 pm

Hi folks ... i do a lot of run and gun interview shooting in a semi-controlled environment, ie a trade show floor. have to be self contained, power-wise, and a good amount of portability.

I have a budget of about a thousand bucks; i'm thinking of a camera-mount lite and a fill lite on a stand ... again ... have to bang through trade show floors and knock off one interview after another.

i was looking at the litepanels sola eng, or maybe the crona ... and something else on a stand for fill .... obviously the 1 x 1 is out of reach ... maybe the lowel blender ?

maybe two sola's, or two crona's ? your thoughts are appreciated.

Return to posts index

Ken Zukin
Re: two point run and gun
on Jan 22, 2012 at 9:53:29 pm

Hey Stephen,

I think you're on the right track -- wanting a small, portable DC fixture -- but I would recommend using it as a key -- rather than a fill. You should key from the direction your subject is looking -- assuming the subject is looking off-camera. An on-camera key light is going to render flat results, which are less than desirable.

Anyway, a fixture that is dimmable, so as to match the level of the ambient level in the room, and has the ability to have it's color temperature adjusted to match the ambient color temperature, sounds perfect.

I'm really not that familiar with what's avaiable on the market these days -- in a way, it doesn't really matter -- just pick-up something dimmable, and color-temperature agile -- and you're good. Remember too that the larger the lighting fixture, the softer the light (given that it's going to be 6 feet or so from your subject). You can fill from on-top of your camera -- that fill light can double as your "back-up" key.

Return to posts index

Tom Nelson
on Jan 27, 2012 at 6:24:07 pm

We use a couple of these:

http://www.coollights.biz/clled600-panel-dimmable-p-114.html

You can buy the battery plate add-on and power them off of a V-lock or AB gold mount, and they last a few hours at full intensity with one battery. Dimmable, and you can drop in a CTO panel to switch between daylight and tungsten (although it cuts a stop). You can also pick up the softbox attachment for $99, which is actually pretty good. Also check out the smaller LED they have - you could easily mount it atop the camera and power it off another battery.

I'm also in agreement with Ken - remember monkey in the middle - when shooting interviews, your subject is looking at your interviewer, who is standing between the camera op and the light.

Tom Nelson
Videographer/Editor
Essex Television Group

Return to posts index

Rick Wise
on Jan 27, 2012 at 6:56:11 pm

Love "monkey in the middle," even if it's rather pejorative to the interviewer. I find teaching students about where to place the key in relation to the camera and interviewer is a challenge. "Monkey in the middle" will make this task much easier. Thanks!

Rick Wise
Cinematographer
San Francisco Bay Area
http://www.RickWiseDP.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]