FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using my new Diva Lite 400s

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Jenkins
Using my new Diva Lite 400s
on Jan 20, 2012 at 7:22:03 pm

Up 'til now I've made do with off-brand lighting, but just before the end of the year, I ordered a set of two Diva Lite 400s. Now I'm trying to figure out how to best use them. The 5600k Kino Flo brand bulbs that I ordered with the Divas have a noticeable magenta tint to them, which becomes more pronounced with any dimming. According to the literature, the color will become better after 100 hours of burn time. I am also aware that I should operate the fixtures with the lamp tips pointing down.

In my previous fluorescent fixture, I used Osram Dulux bulbs, which are about 5400k and have a bit of a green spike to them. My theory is that if I use two "magenta" lamps and two "green" lamps in each fixture, they may cancel each other out to some degree.

Here's a shot of my off brand fixture with the Kino and Osram bulbs. Guess which is which ;) Camera was white balanced to 5600k.

Any advice for a first time Diva Lite user?

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
Re: Using my new Diva Lite 400s
on Jan 21, 2012 at 4:18:24 am

Personally I have 2 daylight and 2 tungsten bulbs in my Diva 400.. side by side alternately .. with camera mostly set for tungsten.. (interviews) found the tungsten only a bit too orange..

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Jan 21, 2012 at 5:43:59 pm

[Robin Probyn] "Personally I have 2 daylight and 2 tungsten bulbs in my Diva 400.. side by side alternately .. with camera mostly set for tungsten.. (interviews) found the tungsten only a bit too orange.."

That's interesting, Robin. I've seen them run with 3 daylights and one tungsten, with the camera on daylight.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Jan 23, 2012 at 1:02:24 am

I tend to go for tungsten setting for interviews esp.. as I like the "blue" look of any window that might be in the frame.. daylight setting it just seems to go grey..

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Jan 27, 2012 at 8:40:17 pm

Warm-up is vital, even after 100 hours. I've often seen the purple look when first turning on my Diva. I wonder, though, whether it gives you a false impression to look at fluoro tube, esp. a mix of tungstens and daylights. The light that falls on the subject has always been fine.

Keep us informed how it goes.

Bob c

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Jan 27, 2012 at 9:04:10 pm

[Bob Cole] "Warm-up is vital, even after 100 hours. I've often seen the purple look when first turning on my Diva."

I've noticed that the Osram bulbs I've got turn on immediately at full brightness, but the Kino bulbs take several minutes to reach that state.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]