FORUMS: list search recent posts

LED-Lights for low ceiling

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Din noor
LED-Lights for low ceiling
on Jan 13, 2012 at 9:00:03 am

HI Guys
i`m gonna build a one-cam studio for my dept..But due to low ceiling of abt 8ft only, what kind of LED light will you recommend.size of studio 12ft x 9ft..studio basically use for interview & minor use of chromakey/green..

thks

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: LED-Lights for low ceiling
on Jan 13, 2012 at 4:12:41 pm

I wouldn't use LED lighting for chromakey, myself. I would go with flourescent tube lighting of the proper CRI, it will have better color rendition, take up little space, give you soft, even lighting, which is good for keys, and be cheaper than the LEDs. Videssence and kinoflo are two brands to look at.

You might be considering the LED ring light system with the special glass beaded curtain from DataVideo. These work pretty well in tight spaces, but I find them overly high-proced for what you get, and they also have limitations, like being incompatible with proper teleprompters. They also are one-trick ponies, they just do keying, whereas the flos can be used for both kinds of work, keyed and natural.

Is that height 8 feet to the actual ceiling, or is there a suspended "drop" ceiling at 8 feet, hiding a little more space above? That would enable you to mount th elights a little higher and get a little better angle, using a fixture built into the dropped ceiling, and it would give you more camera room.

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
on Jan 14, 2012 at 5:54:55 am

You're best bet could be the Lite Panel 1'x1' "Low Profile" LED fixture.
You should also look at the Arri Locaster/Broadcaster fixtures.
Mix with Kino Flo 2 lamp x 2'-0" fixtures.

DS

Return to posts index

Din noor
on Jan 16, 2012 at 12:45:59 am

thks guys..

with my studio size & purpose could anybody help me to conclude the no of lights i should have..
as my c.key will be only on the width 1 side only

aside to mark:- YES the actual ceiling height is 8ft.
so in these studio is it recommended to have a mixture of LED+KINOFLO (2X2) or just 1 type..is it good to use C.key made of paper?

w/cheers

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 16, 2012 at 3:20:24 am

You light the chroma backdrop separately from the talent. It must be lit VERY evenly. That's why I think long flo tubes, as an already diffuse and soft source, are a better bet for the backdrop than LED's.

Light the talent with LED fixtures if you like, I'm still a skeptic as to their color fidelity and cost.

As far as the paper, paper is fine if it's matte finish and not shiny. The crucial thing is to light it EVENLY.

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
on Jan 16, 2012 at 5:17:19 am

Most importantly ....what kind of budget do you have?

DS

Return to posts index

Din noor
on Jan 17, 2012 at 12:37:52 am

thks guys..

DS: is abt US9K

DN

be calm & patience.

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Jan 17, 2012 at 12:52:48 am

That's plenty of money. Use fabric instead of paper; it'll last longer, less subject to damage and wont fade, and rig it in a frame set, 8x8 (but you'll have to chop a few inches off the verticals to fit).

I'd recommend Kino Flo's; 4'Two Banks left and right for green screen and a 2'Fourbank for key and two 2'Twobanks for fill and backlight.

Half a dozen complete c-stands, as they have smaller footprint than conventional; tripod stands and obviously real estate is at a premium in your small "stage".

JS

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]