FORUMS: list search recent posts

LED lights

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Evelyn
LED lights
on Dec 12, 2011 at 4:45:40 pm

Hey, all

I've been asked to investigate "the best of the LED instruments for interview and general work." So, I'm asking what LED lights seem to work best for sit-down interview location shoots, and, secondly, what other LED instruments do you use for larger set-ups, like lighting inside a house or office where you might shoot a commercial, etc.

I have used only one set of LEDs and they always looked a smidge green to me. Give me my HMI's and I'm a happy camper, but that's not satisfying what I've been asked to do... : )

So, what LEDs do you guys love?

Thanks very much,

-- Bill

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: LED lights
on Dec 12, 2011 at 4:50:08 pm

Ask ten people and get ten different answers, but I think the ARRI line of LED's is the best. Both the Locaster and their new L7 line. They're expensive, but all the top LED lights are as well and have plus and minus green adjustment as well as color adjustment and dimming. Don't buy anything without trying them out!

JS

Return to posts index

Peter Cohen
on Dec 21, 2011 at 11:48:25 pm

I agree with John. there are so many LED out there now and the price varies so much. Litepanels are great but expensive!!! There are a lot of knock-offs that are less than half the price and the quality differs but with the budget in mind, most are not bad. FloLight and ePhoto are cheap and cheaper. I think they are made in China, the quality isn't so bad. There are many other brands that one should test them out before buying. Regarding the green hue, I'd just throw a 1/8 or 1/4 CTO over it. I must say the LED these days save me a lot of money and much easier to handle. Unless I have a really large area to light or need a light with a long throw, I don't think I'd need an HMI any more unless budget is not the concern. Then I'd use HMI or Litepanels any day.

PC

Return to posts index

Wendell Davis
on May 20, 2012 at 1:17:39 pm

I just purchased a SOLA light for onboard my JVC HM700 with the $100 rebate right now. However if you purchase their three light Sola ENG kit no rebate - which seems not quite right to me.

I like the light overall - works fine - draws a lot less energy than other lights I have. There is a fan which may cause some noise if mounted right next to your onboard camera mic. I have an extension that raises it 8 inches above the camera. Helps quite a bit. Also keeps the shadow from my big Sennheiser away from the subject. Being able to dim is nice and the wide angle to spot works well.

As far as the kit, I have some attachments I'd like to use but there is no slot like in my ARRI 150s. Didn't buy the kit on the rebate principle. A number of my staff agree and are going different directions. Not sure what I am going to do yet. Like the size of the kit for all the traveling I do. I travel run and gun for FEMA all over the country producing videos. So going as small and portable is the key for me.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]