FORUMS: list search recent posts

Strange Rosco Axiom and Cool Light LED600 comparison

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Sio
Strange Rosco Axiom and Cool Light LED600 comparison
on Oct 14, 2011 at 5:25:56 pm

In researching alternatives to LitePanels 12x12s, I came across Rosco's Axiom LitePads and Cool Light's LED600. Tho they seem to be similar products the light output (if it can be belived) is dramatically different.

Axiom 12x12 @ 4ft = 150 Lux

Cool Light LED600 @ 4ft = 1900 Lux

Does anybody have practical real world experience with either of these lights?

Kevin

Kevin Sio
Videographer/Editor
Corporate Affairs
National Grid

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Strange Rosco Axiom and Cool Light LED600 comparison
on Oct 30, 2011 at 7:20:16 pm

Many years ago, when LUX first started being bandied about as a measurement of light output, it was primarily a marketing term that meant different things in different contexts.

(kinda like "watts" in audio - where a "1000 watt audio system" could mean anything from 1000 watts of "instantaneous peak power" to the more engineering reliable 1000 watts RMS ( measured as root mean square over the full audio spectrum).

LUX in the early days was similarly "fuzzy" as a useful measurement because it allowed for way too much Fudge Factor - even when used by honest manufacturers who had fine products but were forced to try and pick among varying "standards, for publication.

Both companies you mention publish "photo metric" data for their products - which show brightness measured in standard lumens over distance at various color temperatures?

Thatt data is a MUCH better picture of what a light fixture produces.

FWIW.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Richard Andrewski
on Nov 12, 2011 at 2:03:09 am

Hi,

The two products mentioned are completely different so its kind of apples and oranges. The Cool Lights product has 600 LEDs (just like miniature spotlights) trained outwards to form a large flat spotlight. The Axiom is an edge lit panel where the leds are trained into a diffused acrylic panel to produce a soft output similar to a softbox. Two completely different products for different uses and yes the spotlight will have more throw and power at a given distance than a diffused soft light will. Hope this helps.

Richard Andrewski
Cool Lights USA

Return to posts index

Kevin Sio
on Feb 28, 2012 at 7:38:33 pm

Sorry to delay getting back to this. I did purchase 2 Cool Lights and so far have been happy. I say "so far" only because I haven't used them too much. I was able to do a side by side comparison with a Lite Panels 12x12 and, for shear output, the Cool Light absolutely blew the Lite Panel away. And, to my eye, there was absolutely no different in the quality of the light or the color (both were daylight). It left the 12x12 owner a little wistful when we compared what we each paid for our kits.

Kevin

Kevin Sio
Videographer/Editor
Corporate Affairs
National Grid

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]