FORUMS: list search recent posts

Useing Light kit in Europe

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dane Henry
Useing Light kit in Europe
on Oct 11, 2011 at 2:21:13 pm

I have a shoot coming up where I will be shooting in England. I will be bringing a Basic Arri Tungsten Kit. Other than buying 220-240 bulbs and plug adapters is there anything else Im missing to make the light operational?

Any info or tricks of the trade would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Dane
shootcutcolor.com
deeprootsmedia.com

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: Useing Light kit in Europe
on Oct 11, 2011 at 2:42:50 pm

Hi Dane,

The best advice is to buy your 220v globes here in the states as they are very expensive in the UK and you'll be forced to pay the 17% VAT (although if you have enough time at the exit airport you can get a refund).

Another thing I've done is to build a pigtail cable to plug two 110v lights in series to avoid having to buy 220v goobes.

Finally be aware that the electricity is 50Hz, so set your camera shutter to 1/50 or 1/100th to avoid flicker from fluorescent or neon lights.

JS

Return to posts index

Dane Henry
on Oct 11, 2011 at 3:18:46 pm

Thanks for the info John. I've bought all the bulbs, just looking into the plug adapters.

Question for Clarification:
Since I'm running the correct bulb voltage, is a plug adapter all I need instead of a converter?
Is this correct, b/c I am not trying to convert the power from 220 to 110 since I'm using the Euro bulb?

Thanks in advance.

-Dane
shootcutcolor.com
deeprootsmedia.com

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Oct 14, 2011 at 6:16:46 am

I would carry all or at least some of your bulbs hand carry .. LHR baggage handlers aren,t famous for being dainty with gear .. fragile stickers or not.. VAT is 20% now too !!! color temp wise you should be fine.. UK is actually 240V and most of Europe 220V

Return to posts index

Paul Dufilho
on Sep 12, 2012 at 3:52:46 pm

Hey, Dane. I'm just now seeing this post, as I'm about to do a shoot in Portugal in a couple weeks. How did this work for you with the 220V bulb in your Arri lights? I've got the Arri D4 Fresnel kit (2 150s, 300 and 600W). I'd appreciate anything you found out that would be helpful. Thanks.

paul

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]