FORUMS: list search recent posts

How did they shoot this?

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
yamir bhatt
How did they shoot this?
on Oct 5, 2011 at 9:37:21 am

This I phone intro video is so amezing the lighting is so perfect with no shadows and great skin tone. anyone has an Idea how this was shot? what kind of lighting and video equipment?

http://www.apple.com/iphone/#video-4s

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: How did they shoot this?
on Oct 5, 2011 at 1:22:09 pm

They shot with a professional crew, great care and large source lighting. Usually the biggest tungsten light available (24K) into a 12x12' Muslin. Same treatment for fill. If you look closely you'll see two catch lights in the eyes which means key + fill. White backings are lit evenly to 80ire so they're a straight line on the waveform monitor.

As far as camera, my guess is Alexa in log C gamma, which to my taste creates the best skin tone available at this moment in time. This gamma requires color correction, so it is adjusted on high end equipment in ideal monitoring conditions.

JS

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Oct 5, 2011 at 2:24:41 pm

I'll agree with 99% of what John said, as usual (actually usually) it's 100%)...

It's probably an Alexa shoot.

It was not a practical white background though... that was composited, likely greenscreen or bluescreen. The hair on the spikey-haired guy is the dead giveaway on that. It's still a darn-near perfect key, even on his hair, but you can just tell by the way the individual hairs look that the background wasn't a practical white limbo background, but rather a composite.

Virtually all the phone screens are composited and simulated as well. You can't tell that at all on some shots, but on others it's obvious, so I'm betting they are all fake. If this were a broadcast television commercial you'd see the tiny "Screens simulated" disclaimer, but since it's for the web they don't have to abide by that FTC regulation. This is a little unusual since for television commercials Apple almost always does use real screens (and very well and beautifully shot), but in this case they are mostly simulated.

There's very excellent DP work going on there, especially on the exteriors.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Oct 5, 2011 at 2:34:23 pm

Hi Todd,

It is possible that the hair imperfections you notice are a result of compression and playback on the internet.

As for the exteriors, again the Alexa's ability to reproduce 14 stops of DR is at play. Not to take anything away from the skills of the cinematographer!

JS

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Oct 5, 2011 at 3:10:12 pm

[john sharaf] "
It is possible that the hair imperfections you notice are a result of compression and playback on the internet."

Ehhh... could be. But I'm still willing to bet it was composited. It just has that composited look to me. Plus, I know for a fact that a lot of Apple's white-limbo television commercials are greenscreen, so I'm betting this is, too.

[john sharaf] "As for the exteriors, again the Alexa's ability to reproduce 14 stops of DR is at play."

Yep, the Alexa is a powerful beast for sure. But there were also things like the car driving interiors that were obviously a darn-good lighting job... artificially lit, but still looked very natural without looking overlit.

No telling what the budget was on that piece... I'd like to be able to work with those numbers myself.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Steve Kownacki
on Oct 5, 2011 at 4:33:10 pm

Looking at 4:04, is that a low/floor fixture in there too?

Steve

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Oct 5, 2011 at 4:39:21 pm

Yup... the key is high, and the fill is low. Gives that completely flat shadowless look.

I think it works there, although personally I usually try to do not such flat lighting.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

david braman
on Oct 5, 2011 at 6:02:41 pm

Very impressive job on the guy with glasses. No hint of reflection or haze on the glass at all. I'm in awe.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Oct 5, 2011 at 6:15:04 pm

[david braman] "Very impressive job on the guy with glasses. No hint of reflection or haze on the glass at all."

Years ago I was directing a commercial shoot with a cosmetic surgeon once where we wanted to see reflections in his glasses, as he was working with patients' images on a computer screen.

I worked and worked and worked trying to light it and block it to get what I wanted, but never got even a hint of a reflection.

Unfortunately, I had not really told this guy what I was doing, just kept moving him and positioning him and tweaking the screen and lighting and blocking. Eventually, he figured out what I was after and said "Ohhhh, probably because these are special non-reflective glasses."

GRRRRRRRRR!

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Oct 6, 2011 at 2:18:34 am

Doesnt ring my bell.. really boring lighting.. and not that hard to achieve Iam sure the DP could have done better except this flat look is the in thing at the moment.. and must have been requested..

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Oct 24, 2011 at 3:06:55 am

Squeaky clean! The background matches so perfectly with the webpage color that I'm pretty sure it was keyed in. There is a nice white wrap on the faces. Could it have been shot against a white background that was then luma keyed? With a garbage matte on the faces, to keep needed foreground detail?

As to Robin's comment, I'm getting a little sick of this Apple-perfection, to tell the truth. The Cult of Sparseness is wearing thin. It's sort of funny - for years the "grunge" look was everywhere. This too shall pass.

Bob C

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Oct 24, 2011 at 12:34:00 pm

Would Rembrandt be famous if he painted with the window right behind him.. not rocket science.. just looks nicer..

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Oct 24, 2011 at 12:57:25 pm

I believe you're totally missing the intent of the DP here, Robin. It's a "clean look" which emphasizes the product and what it can do for the viewer - it is not about making nice portraits of the individuals.

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Oct 24, 2011 at 11:04:51 pm

Hi Bob

Yes well could be.. but the OP talks about great lighting,no shadows and great skin tones.. there is no footage of any product..
Even so.. I would still voice my opinion,and ofcourse its only mine.. that I thought the lighting was not great and that shadows are part of lighting,and the skin tone didnt look good.. not a dig at the DP.. Iam sure he/she can do great work.. and I would think he/she was forced into lighting in this style.. either by the stills look that have already been shot.. or some other creative director who wanted that look.. its happened to me too.. :(

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Oct 27, 2011 at 3:12:38 am

I think you made a great observation, but drew the wrong conclusion. Just look at the new tv spots for "Siri." They cut off the tops of peoples' heads in almost every shot. iow - it's all about the PRODUCT. Apple doesn't want to make the people in its advetising fabulous as individuals -- that would take away from its customers' tendency to imagine themselves inside the advertising, using the PRODUCT.

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Oct 27, 2011 at 7:18:57 am

Dont think its that deep TBH.. just the cycle of whats the latest "in " look.. having the key light on the wrong side of an interview.. is different.. but it plain simply does look good.. or just lighting totally flat.. sure will work as an effect shot with a particular back ground in a drama etc.. but for these things.. why light it badly ?? no ones going to be put off a product just to have a decent key/fill ratio.. .. thats nuts..

Return to posts index

Bill Evelyn
on Nov 4, 2011 at 7:04:24 pm

John,

You said the backings were lit to a flat 80 ire. Why 80?

I did a low-budget shoot last year which was a white seamless in front of a guy yakin,' and I let the background clip. Made me squirm a bit when the director wanted the iris goosed, but when it was all done it looked nice. All the lighting was uniform on the background, and key/fill adjusted for talent. I cut it so I know there was no "fixin' in post."

With 80 ire for background, is the subject then at 70?

Thanks!

Bill

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Nov 4, 2011 at 11:16:44 pm

80ire is plenty white, 100 will often cause interference with the sound in transmission, and yes face at 60-70 is normal. This is more or less the convention for white cyc photography for broadcast. I've done it many times and it looks great.

JS

'

Return to posts index

Travis Merriman
on Mar 1, 2012 at 12:41:28 am

Excuse my ignorance, but what is ire referring to?

thanks,

Travis.

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Mar 1, 2012 at 1:46:49 am

The Institute of Radio Engineers (IRE) was a professional organization which existed from 1912 until January 1, 1963, when it merged with the American Institute of Electrical Engineers (AIEE) to form the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)

They created a standard to scale the video level from 0ire (super=black) to 100ire and above which is white. White clip is usually at 108ire.

In digital the ire scale has been replaced by percentages (%) where 0 again is black and 100 is white.

When there is a large part of the picture which is full white (100ire) is would often interfere with the audio in analog transmission, causing a buzz, that's why a white cyc background as is being discussed in this thread had its exposure set at 80ire.

Hope that clears it up for you.

JS

Return to posts index

Travis Merriman
on Mar 1, 2012 at 6:37:20 pm

Crystal clear. Thank you for the explanation.

-Travis

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]