FORUMS: list search recent posts

Suggestiongs for small lighting kit?

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kat hayes
Suggestiongs for small lighting kit?
on Sep 10, 2011 at 10:15:21 pm

I want to buy some lights that students can use to learn basic lighting. We do not have a dedicated space for setting up the lights, so these maybe used in a corner of a classroom, or maybe in a hallway, etc. I want the lights to run cool, so I'm thinking of florescent. Students will shoot video interviews as well as other scripted content.

Is there some sort of mini kit that I should consider? Ideally, I would get KNO FLO Diva and 4-banks, though I think these are just to big.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

kat hayes
Re: Suggestiongs for small lighting kit?
on Sep 13, 2011 at 12:34:04 am

How are the quality of these lights compared with KNO FLO? Are there quality differences? They do seem like a lot less money.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Suggestiongs for small lighting kit?
on Sep 15, 2011 at 7:52:49 pm

IMO, if you just get a single kind of light, you're short changing the students.

Each light technology has it's pros and cons and it's best uses.

Tungsten is color accurate - and the fixtures that use is are designed for maximum control of the light beam - something that is priceless when you want to light part of a scene - but keep that light off other parts.

Fluorescent fixtures provide broad, soft light that is very flattring, especially for older talent with issues like wrinkles. (This is also why it's common to put tungsten lights in soft-boxes) But these kind of broad, soft sources are very hard to controls compared to focused tungsten.

LED is the most energy efficient and cool, but it's an array of spotlights that works great for some things and not so great for others.

Each has their place. To teach about one over the others is like teaching chefs ONLY baking. ONLY sauce making, or ONLY prep skills - when what a good professional cook really needs is exposure to the widest possible range of skills so that they understand as many approaches as possible.

I'd vote for 2 tungsten fixtures, perhaps a broad source like a Lowel Tota and a small 300 watt fresnel. Then get one 4" fluorescent bank - and one LED panel. Order the LED and the Fluors in 3200k versions and then mix and match them to see what each does best.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]