FORUMS: list search recent posts

Controllable LED lights

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Seeman
Controllable LED lights
on Aug 29, 2011 at 9:22:05 pm

I'm often shooting in small offices and I'm finding that the power draw is risky and tungsten tends to cause the talent to melt into a puddle after a few minutes.

It seems most LEDs aren't all that controllable which isn't great when light can end up spilling all over the place including bouncing off white walls.

I'm looking as Litepanels SolaENG but many of the user review posts talk of fan noise. Does anyone have any practical experience with these and what are the drawbacks?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/465459-REG/Lowel_Tota_Light_One_Light...

Any other equivalent suggestions of controllable LED lights given the above dimmable, focusable, apparently single point source?

Return to posts index

Rick Wise
Re: Controllable LED lights
on Aug 29, 2011 at 9:31:12 pm

Why not go with Kino Flos in some form? Low draw, low heat, clean light. Otherwise CoolLights has some equivalent units, though better to bulb them with true Kino bulbs as their CRI is much better.

No LED lights at this time have clean, full-spectrum light. Kinos are far cleaner, and actually cost less.

Rick Wise
Cinematographer
San Francisco Bay Area
http://www.RickWiseDP.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 29, 2011 at 10:09:10 pm

I'm also looking at CoolLights
http://www.coollights.biz/clled256-spot-p-126.html
One of my concerns, given the small spaces I've been working in, is how barn doors handle the multipoint nature of LED lights. SOLA looks interesting because they look like single point source. They remind me of Lowel Pro in output but with much better control.

BTW I don't how I posted the wrong link but maybe that's part of the confusion. I'm looking at
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/687491-REG/Litepanels_SOLAENG_SolaENG...
The supposed Fresnel like quality and control interests me. I haven't seen anything else making that kind of claim in the LED arena.

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Aug 29, 2011 at 9:38:25 pm

Hi Craig,

I can't say enough about the ARRI Locaster LED's.

I started with a pair and now have four of them. They are a little pricy, but they offer a very nice quality light that is fully dimmable, adjusts color from 2800-7000K and also have +1/-1 green/magenta shift.

I think the nicest thing about them is the finely etched glass diffuser which make a strong yet soft source. Additionally there's a bracket which allows two units to mount end to end and result in a light about the size of a 2'Twobank Kino.

In particular these lights are very useful in high ambient light environments where they can easily be placed as a key light or backlight and have just enough poop to work without overpowering the available illumination. Same outside at night where they can be dimmed down to almost nothing without changing the color temp.

They also have a snap on battery option that lasts for two hours and makes them particularly useful because there's no power cord attached to hide or extend.

Finally the two light kit comes in a Storm case about the size of a 8" LCD monitor, so they're quite easy to carry in and take very little space on a cart.

Even in situations where you want a bigger light like a 800 Joker in a Chimrera as key, these two LED lights are great as a backlight/rim light and as an eyelight or fill light.

Once you actually get your hands on these lights and start to play with them you'll realize immediately how unique they are what a useful addition they are to a complete lighting kit.

There are many occasions in LA where I work these days when "green" or "energy efficient" lighting is mandated and these instruments as well as some Kino Flows allow a lot of fire power with very little amperage. It's a bit of a magic trick.

JS

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 29, 2011 at 9:56:18 pm

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/644292-REG/Arri_553101_LoCaster_LED_P...
I'll have to take a look at them. My concern is that they seem to have the "bank of LED" look and barn doors handle the light edges differently than single point source. The SOLA looks like a single point source. I've been shooting in some extremely small spaces of late so I have in my head something like LowelPro but LED and with better beam focusing and the physical design of the SOLA reminded me of that.

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Sep 4, 2011 at 8:53:37 am

Hi John

Do these lights give a soft enough light.. I ask as the actual source size is very small.even being quite close to the subject.. or does the cut glass do an incredible job..

Iam thinking of interview situations..

Thanks for your time

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Sep 4, 2011 at 2:08:19 pm

Robin,

I own and use every type of motion picture light from 150w Dedo to 4K HMI PAR and yet I find these Locasters very useful and amazingly versatile, especially for their size and firepower. To find out if they're right for you, you should borrow or rent a few and try them out in your typical application, I think you'll be impressed with them too!

JS

Return to posts index

Robin Probyn
on Sep 5, 2011 at 9:21:49 am

Yes good idea ofcourse.. if there are any around here.. saw a bit on youtube too.. looks like they might be great for interviews.. very handy here in Tokyo.. low voltage.. tiny rooms.. and power points !! have the Diva 400.. but these look even easier..

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 29, 2011 at 10:11:19 pm

Wrong link in original post
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/687491-REG/Litepanels_SOLAENG_SolaENG...
Looking at this because they claim Fresnel like control apparently similar to single point source.

Return to posts index

Tom Guiney
on Sep 6, 2011 at 7:30:47 pm

I've fooled around with the ENG sola. It does actually feel rather like a real fresnel. Softer edges on the beam, but that's not always a bad thing. It doesn't feel like a bank of leds. It really doesn flood and spot effectively. They're pretty cool. Very lightweight. plastic body, which is a plus and a minus. makes them light, but they won't be as durable as metal. low power draw. Small- it's going to be pretty hard no matter what you do.

I like litepanel 1x1s for their versatility and speed and battery, but they're not the only option at all. Those arri locasters... I don't own any, but I wasn't too thrilled at how hard they were because it was such a small source. But you said you wanted hard. The arris are very bright though.

Dedo is coming out with a new 1x1 that I'm optimistic about- very bright, fairly inexpensive.

creamsource- bright as a mofo. A little heavy, probably expensive, but it's bi-color and very very powerful. Fairly low power draw, but not as low as the others. No battery option.

there are a bunch of others, but at the end of the day I"m a fan of Litepanels.

yours
Tom Guiney
Airboxlights.com
Inflatable softboxes for litepanels

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 6, 2011 at 7:50:37 pm

Tom, thanks for that. I think some are on a quest to have LED lights that offer the same control of tungsten. Sola ENG certainly looks like that direction. On the bit larger side there's the Sola 6 but they are a hefty price. I tend to shoot in small places so Sola ENG looks almost like a Lowel Pro light only a lot better.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]