FORUMS: list search recent posts

Chinese Lantern on ETC Source4 PAR?

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Evelyn
Chinese Lantern on ETC Source4 PAR?
on Jul 21, 2011 at 5:51:44 pm

Hello,

I'm interested in using Chinese Lanterns on my studio lights, ETC Source 4 PAR (750w). I see a speed ring listed for this PAR, adapting the Chimera lanterns to the PAR, but thought lanterns work only on instruments with "exposed" lamps.

Anyone done this successfully? If so, how fast does the light level drop off from the source?

And lastly, should the lantern idea go south, I'm back to using gels and spun on the aforementioned PAR.
For a soft, warm look...subjective, I know...what Roscolux gel should I consider?

Thanks, as always, for your help...

-- Bill

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Chinese Lantern on ETC Source4 PAR?
on Jul 21, 2011 at 6:49:04 pm

I have to say I've never heard of anyone using a Chinese lantern with something like a Source 4. You are correct, the China balls are usually used with an open "bare bulb" type of instrument that you put completely inside the ball. Sticking a lantern on the front of a Source4 would give you some diffused lighting, but it seems to be a bit of a wonky way to go about it.

When we use Chinese lanterns (and we don't use the "real" ones from Chimera or whomever, we use the 10-buck paper ones from Pier One), we use fluorescent fixtures in them. We use these bigass 200w flo tubes (and that's 200 actual watts, not 200 equivalent watts that you sometimes see flos rated). We have these tubes in both tungsten and daylight balance, and they work pretty well. I haven't put a meter to them, but they look to give about 600-800 equivalent tungsten watts.

This is an old "behind-the-scenes" photo montage from an old post about another rigging situation we did, but you can see the big flo tube in the upper right picture... and the top middle picture shows the ball on (it's off in all the other pics)...

If you do the lantern/Source4 combo, the light source falloff will be the same calculations as any other instrument.

If you scrap the lantern, as to what spun/gels you should use on the Source4 for a "soft" look, you might not find anything that will readily work like that. You are only going to be able to soften lighting by using a larger-surface light source... such as using your instrument in a softbox, or doing reflective lighting, like shooting it into a 4x4 white bounce card and using that as your light source.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Ralph Chaney
on Jul 28, 2011 at 3:37:51 pm

Hi Todd,

Questions about the Hallway-China Lantern setup...

It looks like the lantern does not have to only hang down from the fixture assembly. A couple of shots show it to the side of of the c-stand knuckle, and it's not sagging. How is the lantern attached to the assy so this can work?

Also, where can you buy one of them there big ass lamps?

Thanks,
R.

-> Ralph

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jul 28, 2011 at 5:38:19 pm

Hey Ralph...

Yes, the setup we have does not have to hang straight down, it can be used sideways or shooting straight up as well... in any position, really.

It's completely homemade, as you can probably decipher from the pictures. It starts with a 10-buck paper Chinese lantern from Pier One Imports. They have them in various sizes.

The socket and mounting device was just made out of two circles cut out of masonite, each circle a little bigger than the hole in the lantern. One circle goes on the inside, one on the outside, sandwiching the lip of the lantern opening between them. There are holes in the masonite circles so two bolts and wingnuts can keep it sandwiched together. There are some other cuts and slots in the circles as well, to make room for wire extender inside the lantern, the attachment post on top, etc. On one of the circles is attached a regular electrical housing box and a light socket (the kind that is the plastic version of the old-fashioned porcelain light socket). A 5/8" lag bolt (with the extra threads cut off) was used as a standard-sized post that fits in a standard grip head.

As for the bulbs, I can't remember where I bought them, but I just Googled and there are several sources for them. The ones I have are made by MaxLite and are 35872 (Model number SKO200EAWW) for the tungsten-ish one (2700°K) and 35871 (Model number SKO200EA50) for the more daylight-ish one (5000°K). Now, these are NOT made as photographic lights... they are just regular "industrial" lamps... but their color accuracy is pretty high and I did not notice a green spike in either of them. They have a big E39 "mogal" base, so you'll need a little adapter to use them in a regular socket. One thing of note about them, there is a little fan in the base of each of them. It's not noisy, but is noticeable. If you were in a dead-quiet room with a boom mic fairly near them, they might cause an audio issue. But for the most part they really are near silent and I've never had a sound issue because of that.

I've shown these before, but you can sorta see the Chinese lantern (and the rest of the rig) in this behind the scenes video....

And if curious, the finished production...

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Ralph Chaney
on Jul 28, 2011 at 6:27:01 pm

Dynamite, Todd. Thanks! These lights are really remarkable.

-Ralph

Return to posts index

alec gitelman
on Aug 6, 2011 at 11:31:40 pm

Todd,

I was scrolling through the forum and saw your post. I was curious maybe you could answer. I got one of those 200w bulbs from coollights with a softbox. It was rated at 3200k but really runs at 3700k.

Do you find that the bulbs you have are consistent? Or if they change color temp after som use? They couldn't tell me anything at coollights when I called and seemed kinda bewildered.

I'd like to know if I order more bulbs like these what to expect.

Thanks.
Alec.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Aug 7, 2011 at 5:34:22 pm

[alec gitelman] "Do you find that the bulbs you have are consistent?"

Well, the ones I have seem pretty consistent... or at least enough so that I haven't notice, nor have they given me any problems.

They're about the same price as the ones from Richard at CoolLights. Are yours changing color temps during use?? If so, that would be a bit unusual, especially for a new bulb.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

alec gitelman
on Aug 8, 2011 at 3:36:53 pm

No, it's quite consistent. It's just 3700K instead of 3200K.

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Aug 8, 2011 at 3:40:44 pm

How are you determining the color temperature? If it's by the readout in the camera upon white balancing, that may not be accurate. Look at the white balance on your white "preset" if it's really 3700 you should be able to see a slight bluishness.

JS

Return to posts index

alec gitelman
on Aug 10, 2011 at 3:10:08 pm

John,

I haven't had time to double check but it definitely runs cooler (considerably) than my other tungsten lights.

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
on Jul 24, 2011 at 6:56:26 am

To get the optimum effectiveness out of a Chimera Pancake or Lantern (or any Chinese "lantern") you need an omni-directional source.
You can indeed buy a ring to adapt your Source 4 PAR to fit ... but that fixture is designed to create strong, directional light and would defeat the purpose of the Lantern.
You'd be better served putting your PAR's on a small quartz Lightbank (not a lantern). That lightbank (or even the very small lightbank) will give you a wonderfully soft wash of directional light when used with your PARS. For a softer quality you should also take the lens out of your Source 4 (easily done).
Although many people try to save the money, I try never to use lightbank without a 45 (30 or 60) degree honeycomb; which helps "direct" the softlight wash and also eliminate unwanted spill and reduce reflections.

When I want to diffuse Source 4 PARS -- depending on how much light I want to end up with -- I usually use either Rosco 106 or 105 (tough spun). For better transmission, and longer throws, but not as soft a beam, I will use Rosco 114, or even 119 (Hamburg Frost). Occasionally I will use an Opal ....but that's only if I don't have a fresnel.

DS

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]