FORUMS: list search recent posts

i-ring material selection?

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Young
i-ring material selection?
on May 27, 2011 at 2:43:16 am

Greetings all,

Not sure where to put this exactly, so I'll start here since it applies to image control.

Taking suggestions on which material to use for i-rings.
Looking to approximate the look of a Soft/FX 1 on the front, but with the use of an i-ring.

Thanks!
Brian

Brian Young
Miami Beach
http://www.flacaproductions.com

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: i-ring material selection?
on Jun 1, 2011 at 1:49:02 am

Hi Brian,

Have to say that we mostly used the I-Ring in standard def to take the curse off of the artificial contour (detail). Most common materials were Fogal or Christian Dior panty hose or Black Tulle, which is the material that's used for wedding veils.

The problem with the panty hose is getting the fabric fully stretched in the I-Ring frame and then matching the stretch in two or more applications. That's why the I always liked the tulle, as it doesn't stretch, so any two applications will match. It comes in black, white and many other colors too.

Since HD's arrival, I've always resisted the use of such heavy behind the lens diffusion, as it more or less is counter intuitive to the HD concept. When I do need filtration for the aging Diva's, I usually use Schneider Classic Soft #1, although a small amount of Black Pro Mist is good too (1/4 or 1/2).

There's another Tiffen diffusion filter called "Flicker Glass" which is advertised for it's "psychological" effect, namely that the subject can clearly see it's mirror-like quality when they look up into the lens and know without asking that a proper diffusion filter has already been applied and that they need not make a point of asking for it.

JS

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 1, 2011 at 4:54:33 am

In these days of digital post, it seems counter-intuitive to me to apply any image correction at the production stage.

Since you can apply a digital version of any "look" in post, and still preserve the total original quality of your master - any "baked in" effect that you subsequently can't remove seems like a poor bet in the modern production workflow.

But, as we often say - you mileage may vary.

(remembering the old days of having to stand in a line at the women's hosiery counter looking VERY closely at various Dioressence hose brands looking for the perfect density and weave... not nearly quite as embarrassing as asking for condoms at the drugstore when I was a teenager, but not so far from it either!)
"Really, maam, I'm buying these for my VIDEO CAMERA..."

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Conner

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
on Jun 1, 2011 at 7:06:42 am

Not that I would question you John, but did you mean Tiffen's Glimmerglas filter ?
I've never used or heard of a "flicker glass" (but there's many things I actually do not know).

Dennis

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Jun 1, 2011 at 2:37:04 pm

Dennis,

Yeah, yeah, "Glimmer Glass", that's right. I've only had one request for this diffusion (and you know from whom) so I don't own it and with my age induced memory loss mistakenly referred to it as flicker! At least I remembered the "Glass" part.

Actually I did go to the Tiffen website to refresh my memory when I was writing the post, but it is so poorly organized that I could not find it.

I know you must have used the I-Ring in the past with SD, have you abandoned it as I have with HD?

Best regards,

JS

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
on Jun 1, 2011 at 2:47:55 pm

Sorry .... it's the standard filter I set-up up for the "2 blonds" a few years back when ABC went HD -- and the girls don't leave home without it. ;-)
You can't imagine the craziness I went through acquiring glimmerglas filters at the last minute in England for the Royal Wedding covergage.
I haven't used a stocking on the i-ring for years (since my days with Martha Stewart), although lately I've been tempted to use my gym socks! I always use some sort of filter -- either screw in or matte box -- especially with HD.
Often, such as with Barbara, I double filter (which is what I'm also currently doing on THE DR OZ SHOW).

be well
D

Return to posts index

Brian Young
on Jun 1, 2011 at 3:19:42 pm

Thanks for the input guys, but of course the job went away.
John - I'm still not used to having you right down the street and should have called you direct. it was for barbara last week, so I can only assume you were already booked since they came my way.

we were going to go with soft fx 1's and had been requested by NY to have iRings as backup - hence my question - but they didn't specify (despite my asking) what they liked IN the iRings.

it would have been in SD, so iRings would/could/should have been fine with Tulle but i also wondered about glimmer glass - although when we're dealing with rental/provided cameras, they are not always equipped with matteboxes (it was going to be 2 guys running 4 cameras...you know how it goes now) so again - Tulle and iRings would have been the easy, consistent way to address all 4 cameras.

Dennis - what "strength" of glimmer glass have you been using with Barbara and Diane? I've recently relocated to LA, so I'm dealing with more and more situation where people need/want some "help" in the field and are aware of what can be done in-camera.

Bill - I'm with you on doing things in post, but this is what the client wants, so this is what the client gets!!

Thanks again guys - great information here and I appreciate the time you take to put it down.

Brian Young
Los Angeles
http://www.FlacaProductions.com

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
on Jun 1, 2011 at 3:31:06 pm

An SFX #1 wouldn't have been much help for Barbara .... I was using SFX #2 on her for 20/20 many years ago.
The current "flavor of the month" is Glimmerglas #2, although if I'm using double filters I'll drop to a Glimmerlgas #1. I wasn't kidding about using my gym socks!
That being said, I did a last minute special with her in London for the ROYAL WEDDING where I got "boned" by a camera with NO filters. I made it work, and lit it as best I could with what I had at my disposal (Source 4 Leko keys, HMI's, and Diva 400's). Thank God, everyone was thrilled, and once more I survived. Isn't that what it's all about?

DS

Return to posts index

Brian Young
on Jun 1, 2011 at 3:38:05 pm

ah, yes...survival.
I'm glad that I had the fire drill of getting things together for that shoot, and i'm not that sad that it went away as I now have the time to gather more information for the future. stuff like this is hard to come across, so thanks for being willing to share.

i think if i have some tulle and irings to fake it through on short notice, i could then acquire some glimmer glass to make it 'right' - given the time to do so.

Brian Young
Los Angeles
http://www.FlacaProductions.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]