FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lighting for Windowless Space

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Buch
Lighting for Windowless Space
on May 23, 2011 at 12:49:10 am

We're moving our start-up to a 4,000 sqf space with no windows and 10' exposed ceilings in an open floor plan. We want to try to make the space feel as open and creative as possible to compensate for the lack of windows. We've thought about LEDs, halogens and broad spectrum incandescents but aren't sure what the best way to move forward is.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Lighting for Windowless Space
on May 23, 2011 at 1:37:17 am

Ummm... well, if you plan to turn that 4000 square feet into a soundstage to shoot a feature film or television show, then you've come to the right forum for advice from a lot of experienced lighting designers and cinematographers... just give us some details.

However... I don't think that's what you're asking. This might not be the best forum for your needs.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 23, 2011 at 9:48:27 pm

I know he's in the wrong place, but I can't help myself.

What I would do is create a sizeable zen garden courtyard in the center of the space, large enough to have a path thru it, with a translucent white screen across the ceiling, backlit by colored floods or flurescent tubes set to a 5600kelvin-ish color temp to simulate bright daylight. The zen space would include some sculpture or plants, maybe a water feature like a drip-waterfall wall, to help deflect the down-light out to all directions, to filter it out into the space, and the height of the composition would partially block direct views across the space, to make it seem overall like a larger place. Places seem smaller when you can see every part of them from one vantage point. Work stations should all have a line of sight available to the center garden.

It might also be very cool to make that central space an aviary with some songbirds and benches around it. That's more maintenance of course. And maybe not good for a call center, unless it's Hartz-Mountain's.

The alternative would be to cluster the work modules in the center of the large room and wrap the garden around the space, washing the walls of the space with architectural projectors to create various large-scale views where there are none, and to mix large washes of color that can change over the course of the day, the same as the sun angle progresses, as a natural and subtle biological clock. For evening or 24-hour shifts, a cool blue pallette can come on to simulate twilight. Planters alternating with benches would line the walls and perhaps contain some of the projections. Using LED's to power the projections might make them more affordable. Adding mirrors in strategic areas will also open up the space visually and add light, basically for free.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on May 23, 2011 at 10:09:23 pm

Cue Announcer VO:...

"Coming up tonight on Bravo, it's The Real Housewives of Orange County...
but first, stay tuned for Feng Shui, Suszko Style!... next.
Bravo. Watch what happens."

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 24, 2011 at 6:50:45 pm

Really more of an HGTV type show, I would think...

Return to posts index

Caedmon Huang
on May 26, 2011 at 2:54:06 pm

LED lighting will be fit for your space.expecially the colorful lighting.

ShineCatch Lighting Co.,Limited
LED Illumination products.
http://www.shinecatch.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]