FORUMS: list search recent posts

3 phase or 2 phase??

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ralph Stewart
3 phase or 2 phase??
on May 20, 2011 at 11:11:32 am

Hi there,

I've had a question from a client about whether my lights are 3 phase or 2 phase as the venue does not allow 3 phase. I use 800 watt Ianiro redheads. Does anyone know what phase they might be or if what the client is asking is relevant at all?

Many thanks,

Ralph

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: 3 phase or 2 phase??
on May 20, 2011 at 10:36:42 pm

Something like little redheads are definitely not three-phase.

Three-phase power is only something you'll find in, say, a big factory or manufacturing facility where their gigantic machines require three-phase. It's usually something that "regular" folks will never have to worry about... nor many even know what is or that it even exists.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on May 22, 2011 at 2:16:58 am

I concur.

That's the province of electricians who typically bring a 3-phase circuit feed to a property then break that out at a breaker panel into various 15 or 20 amp circuits that are then attached to common wall outlets.

If you haven't personally studied electricity enough to be building code certified as an functional electrician - i HIGHLY recommend that you stay away from doing anything other than leaving this in the hands of working pros.

This is terribly dangerous territory for amateurs.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Conner

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on May 23, 2011 at 11:12:23 pm

Resistive loads like portable lights, are single phase.
In North America, the grid is three phase, and 120/240 single phase is just one leg of the three phase feed.
Three phase stuff is usually inductive loads like big motors like on commercial rooftop AC, Sawmills, transmitters, large ballasted lights like stadium lights, and is at least 277V.
Single phase 120/240 is often incorrectly referred to as "2 phase", which it is not.
In modern North America it is either single, or three phase.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

I have a system, it has stuff in it, and stuff hooked to it. I have a camera, it can record stuff. I read the manuals, and know how to use this stuff and lots of other stuff too.
You should be suitably impressed...

Return to posts index

Caedmon Huang
on May 25, 2011 at 3:15:53 pm

AS I know,ALL the lighting product is 2 phase,base on the Watt small and no need 3 phase

ShineCatch Lighting Co.,Limited
LED Illumination products.
http://www.shinecatch.com

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on May 30, 2011 at 7:15:35 pm

None of the above. Try 1 phase.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]