FORUMS: list search recent posts

Advanced lighting for Green Screen

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Luke Hudgins
Advanced lighting for Green Screen
on Apr 28, 2011 at 2:29:13 pm

Hi there, I'm new to these forums, I've been working in film for 2 years now, and have been doing lighting and camera since the fall. I've shot a few things now with a flat on green screen with good results but on my upcoming shoot this saturday I've got to try 2 new things and I was hoping someone here could give me some pointers.

Here's the gear
Canon 5D mkII ( I know not the best camera for this project )
2 Kino 4 bulb
4 Arri 1K's.
1 Chimera 1K W/softbox
1 Small dish light I use for eyelights
Rosco JAS green gel
216 diffusion
small flag kit
white & black foam core for bounce and flags
cloth green screen screen 12'x9.5'(7' when bagged to the floor)
My ceiling is effectively 8ft tall because of rafters.

First of all the director wants a POV looking up at someone from the ground. So I was thinking for this I would angle the screen, she also wants a reverse looking down at the person on the ground.

Secondly she wants the person on the ground to be laying on a rock or log, which may only be covered in a profile. So I thought I would test painting a lawn chair and trying to key that out as well but I understand this might not work.

Open to any and all suggestions

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Advanced lighting for Green Screen
on Apr 28, 2011 at 5:05:20 pm

For the above shot, some foam core boards painted or covered in greem can be held up using c-stands and clamps. You only need a small edge around the talent, the rest can be matted out with masks in post.

The high angle looking down, I would use a jib. If no budget for jib, hi-hat clamped to top of a folding ladder, or to a board held by two ladders. You could also shoot from tripod level into a mirror, held above, and fix the mirror reversal in post with one click.

For the log, drape the bottom of your green cloth over a rolled-up carpet or some milk crates.

Return to posts index

Luke Hudgins
Re: Advanced lighting for Green Screen
on Apr 28, 2011 at 5:24:38 pm

Great thanks tips I never thought of using a mirror for a shot like that. And I will test the fake log today and see how it goes.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]