FORUMS: list search recent posts

Inexpensive LED lights

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kenny Kinds
Inexpensive LED lights
on Mar 22, 2011 at 8:33:48 pm

Hi,

I'm looking for inexpensive LED lights for film projects.

Does anyone have a good brand/type to suggest?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Inexpensive LED lights
on Mar 23, 2011 at 12:26:42 am

Personal opinion is that the best price/performance ratio is the CoolLights units. The company owner is active in these boards and proves that he really cares about customer service, and his equipment, while perhaps not at the absolute pinnacle of manufacturing fit and finish, are well designed for their task and are totally as functional as the expensive brands at less than 50% the price.

I own 3 (two 600s and a 250) and seldom work out of state without them.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Conner

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
on Mar 23, 2011 at 2:41:34 am

What Bill said.

Unless you are ponying up the BIG bucks for LitePanels, Coolights are the best value out there. I too own two of the 600s and a 250, love them.

Dan

A Producer Who Is Also A DP? Yep, that's Me.

http://www.danbrockett.com

Return to posts index

Rick Wise
on Mar 23, 2011 at 2:49:47 am

Do you find you need to add any minus green gels?

Rick Wise
director of photography
San Francisco Bay Area
part-time instructor lighting/camera
Academy of Art University/Film and Video (grad school)
http://www.RickWiseDP.com

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
on Mar 24, 2011 at 8:06:56 pm

Yes, but they have thoughtfully included nice minus green resin panels, no gels needed. Like them more, I just leave them in the lights, no gels to crinkle in the wind, make noise or wear out. The Minus .5 Green does the trick.

Dan

Return to posts index

Rick Wise
on Mar 24, 2011 at 9:17:33 pm

Thanks, Dan. Going to their site I see that now. Be great if they did the same thing for their fluorescents.

Rick Wise
director of photography
San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

Dan Brockett
on Mar 25, 2011 at 5:21:29 pm

Yeah, I am liking the resin panels a lot more than gels these days.

Do their fluorescents also have a green spike too or do you just mean that it would be nice to have ND or CTB/CTO as resin panels on their fluoros?

Dan

Return to posts index

Rick Wise
on Mar 25, 2011 at 6:02:50 pm

Dan,

I have not yet tried out the fluorescents. I believe they have a CRI of 87, which strongly suggests that they do have a green spike. Almost every fluro other than Kinos do need treatment -- and even Kino Divas need some gelling help. How much varies a lot: 1/8, 14, 1/2.

Rick Wise
director of photography
San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Mar 25, 2011 at 11:44:54 pm

[Rick Wise] "even Kino Divas need some gelling help. How much varies a lot: 1/8, 14, 1/2"

I assume you mean 1/8 etc. minus green. But I've never seen the need for minus green on my Diva. Perhaps the fact that I don't white balance helps? (I use the tungsten Kino fluoro lights which are rated 2900K and set the camera to 3200K) But I also use their daylight and set the camera to 5600K.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 29, 2011 at 5:33:09 am

I have 3 of Richard's LED units and 3 of his fluorescent fixtures. The LED units I ordered in 3200k since many of the retail stores I commonly shoot in have re-lit their interiors using the newest generation of high-efficiency fluor tubes and these typically read at about 3800k. On the fluorescent lights, I ordered sets of both the 3200 tubes and the 5600 tubes.

If either of these are the ONLY lights involved in a shoot, I don't typically use any minus green on any of them. On standard cameras shooing in a "single technology" (all fluor, tungsten, or LED environment, regular white balancing seems to take care of things and I just don't find much use for the magenta filters in that circumstance.

When I'm shooting on DSLR, the cameras have pretty lousy white balance capabilities, however, my 5dMkii does have a fluorescent preset that seems to balance really well with either the fluors OR the LEDs. With that setting, shooting the DSLR, it's Fluors in the studio and LEDs in the field and the setting gives me excellent color rendition.

However, if you're shooting in a tungsten space and want to use ANY of these as kickers or fill, then you'll definitely need the magenta filters. In a mixed light environment, the green tinge is quite apparent. The amount of minus-green you'll need depends on the environmental light you're fighting.

None of these yet do what tungsten, especially the traditional fresnels in my Arri Kits do - which is allow you to really shape the light with barn doors, gobos and foil wraps. But for broad, soft fill light for interviews and other small setups, the savings in power and the ability to generate a whole lot of lumens at an incredibly low cost and power consumption is a HUGE leap forward in location and broad space studio lighting.

FWIW.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Conner

Return to posts index

Richard Andrewski
on Mar 31, 2011 at 3:58:04 am

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your comments.

Our customers haven't reported the need to use minus green on our flo tubes nor has any of our own testing shown the need. But then again most of them are using digital mediums. The ones using real film are most likely using Kino tubes which work in our fixture. The current CRI of the tubes we sell is 90 and has been for a while, just haven't updated the site.

The most common scenario where it might be necessary is if you are shooting real film. In the case of real film, you actually have to overcorrect to keep the green spike from coming in and that is why many will report for example that Kino Flo bulbs seem a bit more "magenta" than others. As far as I know Kino Flo tubes are the only ones made expressly for use with film as they came out in an era where there was no significant digital mediums to speak of.

So, when shooting digital, most of the time, the green spike is easily taken care of by the white balance circuitry of the camera in use.

As for LEDs, as far as I know, we were the first and still about the only company that has admitted that LEDs are in an immature state where CRI is concerned, and therefore should facilitate their use by supplying acrylic correction filters with the panels as part of the kit. No cheap gels in other words. You get a 1/4 minus green, 1/2 minus green, Full CTO and diffuser all in a nylon pouch.

I believe we are still the only ones to have a softbox accessory for our LED fixtures as well, even the small 256 has one available now.

Richard Andrewski
Cool Lights USA

Return to posts index

Kenny Kinds
on Mar 31, 2011 at 8:41:50 pm

wow,

thanks guys for your input. Will look into all of your suggestions.

kenny

Return to posts index

David Speace
on Apr 2, 2011 at 4:15:57 pm

Kenny,

Here's a light that I designed and use. I sell it on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Grip-LED-led-light-DZP-Video-/290551364698?pt=Camcorder...

Dave Speace
Producer/Director/DP
DZP Video

Windows 7, 64 Bit, i7 8 Core, 16Gb Ram, GeForce 4800

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
on Apr 2, 2011 at 5:45:02 pm

Very nice...and at only $250 !!???
What are the photometrics?

DS

Return to posts index

David Speace
on Apr 3, 2011 at 10:24:58 pm

Dennis,

Here are the specs on this light...if you are interested I will send you one to try out! Also, I've attached my lighting plot for tomorrow's shoot... "Best of Class" for 6ABC.

Bulb types - 1 watt led x 36 w/ collimated lenses (can remove-not recommended)
Life - 50,000 hrs
Body - Aluminum
Color temp - 5500K
Angle - 30o + 50o mixed
Output - 3000 lumens
Voltage - 120-240 VAC or 24V DC
Usage - 40W
Size - 11” x 11” x 1 5/8”
Mount - Standard 3 ½” grip pin
Diffusion - Duralens translucent white & clear

Dave Speace
Producer/Director/DP
DZP Video

Return to posts index

David Speace
on Apr 3, 2011 at 10:32:56 pm

Dennis,

Here are the specs on this light...if you are interested I will send you one to try out! Also, I've attached my lighting plot for tomorrow's shoot... "Best of Class" for 6ABC.

Bulb types - 1 watt led x 36 w/ collimated lenses (can remove-not recommended)
Life - 50,000 hrs
Body - Aluminum
Color temp - 5500K
Angle - 30o + 50o mixed
Output - 3000 lumens
Voltage - 120-240 VAC or 24V DC
Usage - 40W
Size - 11” x 11” x 1 5/8”
Mount - Standard 3 ½” grip head
Diffusion - Duralens translucent white & clear

Here's the lighting plot:

1830_bclassltplot.pdf.zip

Dave Speace
Producer/Director/DP
DZP Video

Return to posts index

David Speace
on May 4, 2011 at 4:20:29 pm

I thought that I would add a little more to this thread... the setup I did for 6ABC's "Best of Class" was totally different because I was in a different room! So here's a couple of pictures of the setup...
and here is the plot I originally did...

Also... the led light that I am using... Grip-LED, a light that I build myself... it turns out that at this posting the panel that I am using is not available... is "out of stock" from the supplier. Not sure that I will be able to get more! It seems that other "established" lighting companies are using this panel!

Dave Speace
Producer/Director/DP
DZP Video

Return to posts index

David wong
on Jul 5, 2011 at 6:18:59 am

More and more professional led lights tech information on the topledsupplier website.

Professional LED lights website : http://www.topledsupplier.com
A new way to lights up your life for led grow lights.
http://www.ledlightsliving.com/led-grow-lights-c-105.htm

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]