FORUMS: list search recent posts

How did they light this???

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Schultz
How did they light this???
on Feb 9, 2011 at 8:04:08 pm

Does anyone know how they got this look?

http://www.scholastic.com/administrator/education-videos/technology/

I'm particularly interested in the part where the kids are using the smart board.
I know the challenges are: Getting good lighting on the kids without splashing light onto the smartboards. Getting a good exposure for both--colors on smart board look quite bold. Then there's the projected light from the projector, but probably a short-throw projector?

Any possiblity they did this on green screen and put the smart board graphics in post?

I'm going to be shooting something like this in a bit myself.

Thanks!

Dan S.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: How did they light this???
on Feb 9, 2011 at 8:24:25 pm

[Daniel Schultz] "Any possiblity they did this on green screen and put the smart board graphics in post?"

Nah, that was all done practically with a real smart board.

The lighting is pretty easy... there's just not direct "usual" key light on the talent, which would hit the board. The kids are lit from instruments on the extreme left and right of them (probably almost at a 90° angle), which gives them nice lighting on both left and right sides but without spilling onto the smart board. Look at the shadows and shading on their faces very carefully, that will tell you where the instruments are. They are fairly hard instruments, not soft (fresnels maybe), with barndoors and/or various other cutters that keep it from spilling onto the board. There is good backlighting as well.

In a case like this, set up and expose for the board first (and yes, the brighter the projector, the better), then light the talent. Depending on the brightness of the board, the instruments on the talent might not even have to be that powerful.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Daniel Schultz
on Feb 9, 2011 at 8:35:30 pm

Thanks, Todd.
BTW, here's a screen from the school shoot the other day with the HMIs.

1624_screen.jpg.zip

The interviews were easy. The classroom was hard. I guess no surprise there.
Here's an example of one of the interviews. Just pointed a diffused joker at her with a bounce card on the other side of her for fill. Lots of ambient sun light in the room.

Dan S.

Return to posts index

Steve Kownacki
on Feb 11, 2011 at 1:09:25 am

Hi Daniel
another video shows the unit and the projector, pretty cool mount with extreme keystone correction.

Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]