FORUMS: list search recent posts

Arri Locaster LED Panel AC/DC

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Capehart
Arri Locaster LED Panel AC/DC
on Jan 26, 2011 at 6:29:05 am

I am looking at the Arri Locaster LED Panel AC/DC Double Kit. Does anyone have any real world experience with these lights? I have a two person, on-location, supermarket shoot that I need to light. Any experience with these lights would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Arri Locaster LED Panel AC/DC
on Jan 26, 2011 at 7:09:55 am

Well, I've never used the LoCasters, but I've shot in tons of supermarkets, as we used to do most of the TV commercials for five different grocery store chains around the country.

I don't know what your project is so I'm just guessing... I'd have to say if you are planning on fairly tight shooting where you can place instruments fairly close to your subjects/talent then the LoCasters or other LED instruments might be ok. BUT... for wide or general shooting I would think (based on the LoCaster specs) they would be fairly underpowered. After doing quite a few supermarket shoots we finally moved from tungsten and flo lighting to doing store shoots mostly with HMIs. We were never able to completely shut down the locations we were in or turn off existing lighting (we could block off areas, but the stores were mostly open and working when we were there). Ergo, we always found them to have a lot of existing available light that we had to deal with (big windows, lots of ceiling flos, or sometimes sodium vapor lighting in the bigger ones) and we really needed HMIs to overpower the ambient light so we could do some reasonably interesting-looking lighting designs. They didn't take huge HMIs (maybe a few 1200w's and an 800 Joker-Bug or two), but did need at least that much. Otherwise the (mostly unflattering) ambient light was really dominating the lighting plots.

Just my two cents...

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jan 29, 2011 at 2:06:48 am

Having also done quite a lot of retail work, I'll note that over the past decade or so, most commercial spaces have swapped out their old-style overhead lighting for more energy efficient products.

I was quite surprised to see that in a lot of the retail spaces I've shot in over the past few years, that overhead lighting is now pretty close to the traditional TUNGSTEN color temp.

So when I ordered both my color balanced fluorescent instruments AND my LED lights, I broke with tradition and ordered 3200k lamps and with that, I've been able to use them as convenient "face fill" and "shelf brighteners" working WITH the existing store lighting.

So make sure you check the space you'll be working in as to color balance of the existing lights.

FWIW.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Conner

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
on Jan 29, 2011 at 4:42:40 am

Arri's Locaster is a great new LED fixture, well thought out, and probably the most accurate of all the LED's units available. It impressed me when I first used it a year ago. It's the wrong fixture to serve as the primary light source on your supermarket shoot however. The beam is not wide enough.... and if you diffuse it you won't have enough intensity.
Stick with Diva's or simple 4 x 4 Kino's and use the Locaster as an eyelight/fill.

Good luck
DS

Return to posts index

Michael Capehart
on Jan 29, 2011 at 5:48:04 am

Thanks for all the helpful info. I forgot to mention that I will not have access to power during the shoot. We will be moving all around the store to different locations while the store is open to the public. We will not be allowed to string power cables. Thus we need to be battery powered for all our lighting. Will the Arri locasters give me enough to light the faces of the talent? Just want to fill in the shadows and even them out since all my lighting from the store will be overhead. Thanks again for everyone's input. This is a great place to get the answers from those that have been down this road before.

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
on Jan 30, 2011 at 5:40:43 am

I hardly think one extension cord to power 2 or 3 Diva 400's would be a big deal, but so be it.
You need a broader based light source than the Locaster. Use two stands with 2-4 interconnected 1' x 1' lite panels ....all battery powered.

DS

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
on Jan 30, 2011 at 5:42:02 am

By the way, you should also equip yourself with several reflectors to bounce that ceiling light where you need it most.

DS

Return to posts index

Michael Capehart
on Mar 1, 2011 at 2:48:04 am

I purchased the Arri Locaster Led kit and have never been happier. I used the lights in Wegmans grocery store to light two people for each video. The battery operation, dimming feature and color temp control made every scene a breeze to light. By far, one of the best lighting purchases I have ever made.

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
on Mar 1, 2011 at 6:00:43 am

Congratulations Michael... on the success of your shoot -- and your purchase.
As I said, the Locaster is a fabulous fixture, worthy of the ARRI name. I'm glad it was able to work for your shoot. You must have shot relatively tight.
Share a still, or a link if you are able.

DS

Return to posts index

Michael Capehart
on Mar 2, 2011 at 6:09:15 am

One of the videos we shot using the Arri Locasters is now live on Youtube. The following is the link to one of the videos.

We zip tied light stands to the inside of grocery carts. This kept the light off the floor and the extra batteries in the cart and off the floor. We shoot while the store is open, so we have to be as careful as possible with any potential hazards. Great product that is now a major player in my equipment arsenal. Thanks to everyone for their input.

Return to posts index

Michael Capehart
on Mar 2, 2011 at 6:13:08 am

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
on Mar 2, 2011 at 6:16:49 am

Thanks for sharing Michael. Looks good. Not bad for "run & gun" during store operations.
2 questions:
Did you not have any fixture available to key for Jennifer's cross shot close-up?
What temperature setting did you find worked for this set-up?

DS

Return to posts index

Nigel Thompson
on Mar 3, 2011 at 4:14:18 pm

Great to know Michael;
Im gonna get a double kit myself soon as well. I prefered them to the litepanels especially because of price but after doing research found the performance is WAY better as well. I also waiting for the LED fesnels Arri are developing instead of going with the SOLA's.

Just found out the dimmer dial falls out as soon as you use it. and apparently it happens on all the sola 6 lights. Quality control litepanels ......

HVX200, RED ONE, FCS and more,
High End, Production & Post Production
in the Caribbean
http://www.bistt.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]