FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shooting in a department store--Flicker reduction

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dana Bartle
Shooting in a department store--Flicker reduction
on Nov 2, 2010 at 4:21:43 pm

I will be shooting an interview in a department store that is very bright but uses high-efficiency fluorescent lighting. The camera I am using is the Panasonic HVX205 and I am wondering will the existing lights in the store produce flicker? If so what can I do to best reduce it? Would lighting the interview with two Chimera softboxes be my best option? Thanks, Dana

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Shooting in a department store--Flicker reduction
on Nov 2, 2010 at 4:42:54 pm

I'm not a HVX205 user so I can't say with complete accuracy... but does that camera have a clearscan mode? If so, you might have to dial in an exact shutter speed to match the flos. It will probably be 1/60.1, or 60.1 Hz.

But... you might not have any flicker issues at all. Sometimes they simply do not show up. Or, it might reveal itself not as flicker but rather as very slow phasing. If possible it would be worth running to the location with your camera to do a quick available-light test.

Chimeras are fine for interview lights... it just depends on what actual instruments you use with the softboxes. You will want to match the color temperature of the available light, obviously.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Dana Bartle
on Nov 2, 2010 at 5:31:30 pm

Thanks so much! I am doing a test shoot next week but wanted to get some advice before hand. I am thinking I will set the shutter speed to 1/60 anyway just to be safe.

Return to posts index

Steve Kownacki
on Nov 20, 2010 at 1:03:56 am

No comment on the flicker issue, but I suggest taking along some 3x4' foamcore, flexfill or something to position over the talent's head to block ceiling lights. If there's strong overhead lighting that you can't re-position or turn off, you may not be able to get rid of the dark eyes. The soft lights may not overpower them.

Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]