FORUMS: list search recent posts

On Camera Video Lights

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tielman Dewaele
On Camera Video Lights
on Oct 20, 2010 at 11:18:56 am

Hey
I need a On Camera Video Light for my SonyXDCam pdw F330 to film on some upcoming partys(also for interviews)
Price: 100-300 dollars.
What's great, what not?
Should be with a xlr plug to camera.

T

MacPro Intel Quad Core 7G Ram
MacBookPro Intel Duo Core 2G Ram

Cs4 Production Premium
Cinema4D
Maya
Final Cut Studio 2

Return to posts index

Steve Culpepper
Re: On Camera Video Lights
on Oct 20, 2010 at 2:33:50 pm

Litepanel Micro or Micro pro. These are both on the top side of your budget but you'll be happy with the choice.

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Oct 20, 2010 at 3:45:27 pm

Flolight LED 256, nice light

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Oct 20, 2010 at 4:55:18 pm

I've used the Litepanels Micro and I wouldn't recommend it. Very low output. If the subject is more than 5 feet away from the camera, you won't even know you have a light.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

Alan Lloyd
on Oct 20, 2010 at 7:05:43 pm

You have an Anton Bauer style Power-tap connector on the camera, meaning you can set it so the light is only on when you're shooting. (See p. 23 of your camera manual.)

Just make sure you have a good battery on board.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 22, 2010 at 8:49:27 pm

I find these LED deals work ok at up to arms length, but they tend to be too weak if you go farther back than about ten feet. I'm still keeping my Frezzi with an attached diffuser.

Return to posts index

Ben Edwards
on Oct 26, 2010 at 3:21:53 pm

I have a LED Z96 from Hong Kong/China Ebay (under £50). I have seen the same (branded) for £300 in pro photo shops!.

For your budget you could get a couple (or 3) and have an extremely portable 2 or even 3 point setup. I rarely use them turned right up as it makes people squint. People on this forum have been quite dismisive of them but I got one anyway and was delited.

The magnetic filter mounts on the front is great as you can put filters behind them. It comes with a CTO filter and diffuser. The diffuser does not do much to the light but it makes it makes it less harsh to the talent (I know this sounds strange but it is based in observation, i.e. less squinting).

Ben

Return to posts index

David Speace
on Nov 26, 2010 at 12:16:48 am

This is the led light that I use...
http://cgi.ebay.com/CN-126-LED-Camera-Video-Camcorder-Hot-Shoe-Light-Lamp-/...

This light takes AA batteries, Panasonic batteries or Sony L series batteries... what's great about this is that you can actually put the small battery Sony supplies with some of their hdv cameras to good use... you know the "kit" battery! The light has a dimmer which is properly placed so your free left hand can reach up and set the dimmer. It is plenty bright for shooting talking heads and small group shots at parties... if you expect to light up a room from 20 or 25' away then I would bring a lighting package and not the camera light. I know shooters who use a 50W light in their Frezzi or Anton Bauer camera light and you end up with way too much light on faces which means you have to iris down and then the background gets real dark. This won't happen with an led camera light... all you want to do is brighten up the faces! These lights are cheap and fairly bullet proof... I've dropped mine about 6 or 7 times and it still works... except the last time I dropped it I broke the hot shoe connector! These are made of plastic... so I just pulled one from another "cheap" led camera light and I'm still using it.

It seems like the last few years, the shooting I've done for some local magazine shows have gone from doing nice 3-point lighting for interviews to quick standup interviews with a camera light... the small Sony L battery I use powers the light all day long! So if you buy a more expensive one that has an Anton Bauer tap and you can plug into the camera for power... you won't have to worry about draining the battery like you would with a 25 or 50 watt tungsten camera light.

Dave Speace
Producer/Director/DP
DZP Video

Windows 7, 64 Bit, i7 8 Core, 16Gb Ram, GeForce 4800

Return to posts index

Ben Edwards
on Nov 26, 2010 at 9:27:24 am

I used to have one of the 126 LED ones mentioned above but the Z96 (http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=Z96+led&_sacat=0&_odkw=Z96&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313) is much better build quality nicer/brighter light and takes the same batteries as the Z1. A vastly superior light in every way.

Ben

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]