FORUMS: list search recent posts

dark space little light. 200T or 500T

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Huber
dark space little light. 200T or 500T
on Oct 13, 2010 at 2:19:45 am

Hi,
I am filming a short film in a few weeks and cannot decide on what stock to use and/or what type of lighting to use. I have looked into this for awhile now and I feel I need to just ask someone that has some experience with this type of set up.

This will be shot on 16mm color Neg. in an INT. and the only light source will be a flashlight (non-LED). Think of the INT. as a black box. Any ideas on maybe going about this a different way? Or can it be pulled off; I want more than just the talents face to be lit maybe highlights along the legs (they will be laying on their side in the box light source near feet).

Would I need to add more light, maybe with a 350 and a scrim or two, then a high powered flash light or maybe one of those lights people use to spot deer?

I am trying to figure out which stock to use, the Kodak 7219 500T or 7217 200T. Since there is not much need to have an extended drop off, which would be better?

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: dark space little light. 200T or 500T
on Oct 13, 2010 at 3:45:26 am

I've only shot a little bit of 5219 (the 35mm version of 7219 500T), and while it is adequate for 35mm but I never used it too much because it was a little grainy for my taste. I can imagine that would be quite a bit magnified in 16mm. But I think you're gonna need film that fast if, as you say, your "only light source will be a flashlight." I don't believe 200T would cut it, probably not by a long shot.

I'd really suggest lighting the scene additionally.... or rather primarily... and then adding the flashlights as specials. It's hard to give any further recommendations as to instrument recommendations or setup since we don't know any particulars of what the scene is.

I'd say this one would likely bear burning 100' or so as a test before the real shoot.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 14, 2010 at 8:17:09 pm

People not in the business always think night type or noir type shooting must be easy because you don't have to light anything much. Actually, you probably use more lighting tricks and tools to shoot a theatrically-convincing "dark" than you ever do in the daytime.

Return to posts index

Daniel Huber
on Oct 14, 2010 at 10:08:34 pm

Hey Mark,

Thats why I am asking, your response was not helpful.

Return to posts index

Daniel Huber
on Oct 14, 2010 at 10:12:59 pm

Thanks Todd,

I will be lighting it additionally, I have decided to use two 250watts tungsten balanced lights in conjunction with a high powered flashlight. I have tested the lighting set up with a light meter and I am happy with the results.

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
on Oct 15, 2010 at 4:56:13 am

You might also want to gell your light so it appears "unusual" ... perhaps with a blue color media. Rosco 68 works well unless you want something "colder" (greener), such as Rosco 67.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]