FORUMS: list search recent posts

Portable Green Screen?

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Cunningham
Portable Green Screen?
on Sep 26, 2010 at 1:45:04 am

Any suggestions for a portable green screen.

I will be shooting talking head interviews in several cities so I need something light weight that will resit wrinkles. I am anticipating garbage matting anything outside of green screen frame. I should be able to allocate two small soft lights for the background. (shooting HVX200 720pn key/fill with litepanel 1'x 1's with amber gelled back/rim light, and I have a waveform built into my HD monitor)

I will be cutting with FCS 3, so any recommendations for 3rd party Chroma Key plug ins to make the work flow easier would also be appreciated.

As always, thanks in advance for your collective wisdom.

Cheers,

Return to posts index

David Johnson
Re: Portable Green Screen?
on Sep 26, 2010 at 2:11:20 am

Lots of companies make these collapsible chroma-key screens with green on one side and blue on the other ... they're all about the same so $70 is a decent price considering many are several hundred and up.

http://www.adorama.com/BD401L.html

I do chroma-key in After Effects with Keylight so not sure about the best plugins for FCP, but I'm sure there are plenty out there.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Sep 26, 2010 at 5:27:40 am

"...any recommendations for 3rd party Chroma Key plug ins..."

The "gold standard" plug-in would be Ultimatte.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Sep 26, 2010 at 3:25:00 pm

There are a number of keyers that now work with Final Cut and other NLEs. And the Primatte keyer in Motion is good. Checkout the PHYX Keyer and the Keylight plugin for FCP. I'm still partial to Keylight in AfterFX since I have it. And for green screen magenta backlight reduces spill. Amber is for blue screen.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 27, 2010 at 1:47:59 pm

Digital Juice sells the "chroma-pop" which looks pretty good. They also sell a large pop-open diffuser in the same style for what I consider a terrific price.

Software wise I use Primatte, the regular FCP keyer, or Ultimatte AdvantEdge.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 6, 2010 at 6:29:50 pm

Reflecmedia can work but brings certain unique limitations as well. Plus it costs a LOT for that cloth.

Return to posts index

Steve Culpepper
on Oct 7, 2010 at 3:29:37 pm

This is all very true. Your green spill worries go from talent's back to talent's front but this is easily fixed by putting some distance between camera lens and subject as well as finding the right mix of iris and green light. 2 practice set-ups will dial you in. I've just finished an entire series for discovery where I used this set-up on every shoot and it worked perfectly.

If you're traveling a lot, this thing is worth it. My green screen set-up travels in a pelican case not much larger than a lunch box. 15 min set-up and a solid key everytime. My screen even has a seam right down the middle and it has never been an issue.

What you lose in initial investment you gain back 10 fold with the qucik set-up time and not having to rent syc lights or a lighting guy. You'll hear a lot of lighting guys dog this system but don't forget, you'd be dogging it too if you were losing a day of set-up.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 7, 2010 at 4:40:00 pm

Reflecmedia can be a problem if you use a prompter of the talent wears glasses. I think they would rally grab a huge amrket shaer if tye could just come down on the cost of that beaded cloth

Return to posts index

Steve Culpepper
on Oct 7, 2010 at 8:17:06 pm

No doubt!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]