FORUMS: list search recent posts

Buying some new lights for greenscreen

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Olson
Buying some new lights for greenscreen
on Aug 30, 2010 at 6:33:45 pm

I'm working in a very tight studio space (about 8x10 feet) and have successfully shot some green screen in there on our HVX200.

I'm currently looking at shooting a glossy video promo for my company and have the budget to buy some new lights.

Anyone have recommendations for lights? Would kino flow lights work well with greenscreen? I'm looking for a nice bright look but don't want to get too much bounce off the background. (Fortunately the walls/ceiling in the studio are completely black)

Currently, I'm working with a lowell tota, prolight, omni and couple of worthless but very bright smith-victor lights which I use to light the background.

Ideally I'd like to get a new key light and couple of background lights and use the rest of the kit to fill in.

Thanks,

Eric

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: Buying some new lights for greenscreen
on Aug 30, 2010 at 6:41:27 pm

Although this has been hashed out many times before on this forum, I'll reiterate that:

Kino Flos are the best units available for this purpose. For lighting the greenscreen background they create a very soft and even proximity light when placed left and right. Same for the key, and in addition they create no heat and use very little electricity. The globes are cheap and last thousands of hours. This is the definition of "no brainer". If the budget allows, I'd suggest 2 @ 4'Twobanks for your screen and a 4'Fourbank for the key. If you have any money left over, buy one more 2'Twobank for a backlight and keep the color consistent and the heat to a minimum by never turning on those hot tungsten lights again. The savings in electricity and bulb costs alone will amortize the lights in a few years of heavy use.

JS

Return to posts index

Eric Olson
on Aug 30, 2010 at 7:40:04 pm

Thanks, that's very helpful. Would there be any issues with using a lowell prolight for a hair light in terms of color matching?

Eric

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 30, 2010 at 7:44:10 pm

You can gel the Lowel for the hairlight/backlight and it should be okay; the extra output of the halogen in it will punch thru the filtration okay, IMO.

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Aug 30, 2010 at 7:44:46 pm

No, it's just that the one hot light will use more power and create more heat than all the other lights put together!

JS

Return to posts index

Eric Olson
on Aug 30, 2010 at 7:52:51 pm

Also, could you point me to a link for the 4' 2 banks. I can't seem to find that model.

Thanks,

Eric

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Aug 30, 2010 at 7:55:02 pm

Here's Kino Flo's website:

http://www.kinoflo.com/Lighting%20fixtures%20with%20Remote%20ballast/4Bank,...

You can buy direct or get a discount by buying from a dealer.

JS

Return to posts index

Michael Easparam
on Sep 1, 2010 at 1:37:31 am

Don't forget to order Kino's green lamps for the screen lights - they are fantastic! You need to ensure they do not spill onto the subject, if you are in cramped quarters, go with normal lamps.

Return to posts index

Jay Soriano
on Oct 9, 2010 at 11:21:10 pm

Great info John. What would you recommend as a fill to complete this setup? Thanks!

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Oct 9, 2010 at 11:23:48 pm

Jay,

Just add one more 2'Tor 4' Twobank.

JS

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]