FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lighting Doctors Coats

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Moore
Lighting Doctors Coats
on Jul 15, 2010 at 3:17:29 pm

This might seem basic but I would like to get some other opinions on how to light people wearing Doctor's White coats for HD.

We can make the Doctor face look good and the BG look great but the white coat always comes out too hot.

Is there a color gel that would be good to use to bring the intensity of the coat down?

Many times we have doctors walking and talking and use a softbox to light.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
john sharaf
Re: Lighting Doctors Coats
on Jul 15, 2010 at 3:33:50 pm

Many solutions:

Use off-white lab coats, or dye coats to off white or pastel color. This is often done in Hollywood-type films that have wardrobe departments

Keep light off the coats, by flagging, scrimming or use of more directional source

Use camera setup to help; either with adjustment of knee and slope or use of hypergammas (Sony) or dynamic range control (Panasonic)

JS

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
Re: Lighting Doctors Coats
on Jul 16, 2010 at 3:25:23 am

John as given you the best solutions. There is no such thing as a gel that will only affect the lab coats -- but not the faces of the people wearing them.
You must actually darken the lab coat -- or use colored ones. That's what we did for all the hospital scenes I did for years on soap operas, or even the white tops worn by the chiefs (such as Emeril) on the cooking shows, or even on a current show I light (THE DR OZ SHOW) ......in which Dr OZ wears colored scrubs and the "Assistant" is in a dyed down white coat.
DS

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]