FORUMS: list search recent posts

Restoring Lights

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Donald Mitchell
Restoring Lights
on Jul 4, 2010 at 1:55:53 pm

I have several old lights in my studio that are pretty tatty but working ok. Redheads, Blondes, Mini Brutes Mizar's etc etc.

Mainly they just need cleaned up, some need spares fitted and barn doors/housings repainted.

What are the best paints to use to repaint housings and especially what is the best paint for the matt black barn doors?

Where can I buy the paint in the UK?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Restoring Lights
on Jul 5, 2010 at 2:54:16 pm

I can't tell you about the housings, but high-temperature paint is sold in hardware and automotive parts supply stores, for use in restoring barbecue grills and for painting inside engine compartments. The trick will be to find one in a flat finish for the barn doors. One brand over here that is kind of popular for the high-temp or high durability thing is called "Hammerite". You can get it in a finish that contracts a little bit as it dries and hardens, creating a matte finish of tiny wrinkles. I would buy a small can and test it first, see if you like it.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Restoring Lights
on Jul 6, 2010 at 12:12:22 am

"...for use in restoring barbecue grills and for painting inside engine compartments. The trick will be to find one in a flat finish..."

Actually, that's probably the easy part... I've bought black high-temp quite a few times at the hardware store, I didn't even know it came in other than flat... all I've ever bought was flat, I think it will be easy to find.

But yeah, Mark's right... BBQ grill or engine paint is what you want.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]