FORUMS: list search recent posts

Where to learn about lighting?

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
aj Martinson
Where to learn about lighting?
on Jun 25, 2010 at 5:14:06 am

There are probably quite a few posts requesting professionals to tell newbies exactly what lights to purchase. Hopefully I can break that trend here. So, heres my question: Is there a website or some other resource online where I can learn what lights would be needed for a given situation so that I can decide for myself what types of lights would be necessary to purchase for a given job?
Also, is there a package someone could recommend within the $400 price range that would cover my essential highlight,key light, and fill light needs?
Thank you so much,
AJ

Return to posts index

Rick Wise
Re: Where to learn about lighting?
on Jun 25, 2010 at 4:09:43 pm

On the internet you will find endless advice about lighting kits. For the $400 range you set I know of only one solution: buy used, slowly and carefully, waiting for exceptionally low prices. eBay is an obvious place to go.

Rick Wise
director of photography
San Francisco Bay Area
and part-time instructor lighting and camera
grad school, SF Academy of Art University/Film and Video
http://www.RickWiseDP.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/rwise
email: Rick@RickWiseDP.com

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
Re: Where to learn about lighting?
on Jun 28, 2010 at 4:42:03 am

IF anyone in the NEW YORK CITY is interested, we (THE LIGHTING DESIGN GROUP) will be conducting a seminar on Wednesday night on the use of new energy efficient lighting for video -- including CDM, LED, and fluorescent fixtures ..... many of which will be used in a demostration.
See you there.

4Wall Entertainment and The Lighting Design Group
in conjuction with the New York Chapter of the National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences

The Energy Efficient Broadcast Lighting Seminar

Wednesday, June 30th 2010

6:00pm – 8:00pm

EUE/Screen Gems Studios - 222 East 44th Street (between 2nd & 3rd Ave)

RSVP: info@nyemmys.org
*Free to members and non-members of NATAS.*

Dennis Size and Mark London from LDG will review fixtures employing LED, CDM and fluorescent technology. They will explain the practical applications of these cutting edge technologies in various talent and scenic lighting configurations. They will also discuss the how these lighting instruments are increasingly being used at major broadcast instal­lations to cut down on energy, cooling and maintenance costs.

Instruments from the world’s leading manufacturers:

Altman, Arri, Color Kinetics, DeSisti, ETC, Kino Flo, Lite Panels, Nila, ReVEAL, SeaChanger, Strand and Vari*Lite will be on hand for the seminar.

*If you work in the production of television this is a must attend event.*

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

◊ The Lighting Design Group is the largest television lighting design firm on the East Coast headed by Steve Brill. They have designed the lighting for NBC’s coverage of the Olympic Games, News Studios for NBC, ABC, CBS, CNN, Fox.

◊ EUE / Screen Gems Studios provides high-end production and post-production services in New York, North Carolina and Atlanta, and is the home of the “Rachael Ray” show, The Onion News Network, “One Tree Hill” and the studio of choice for many major networks and top producers. Contact: Mitchell Brill, mbrill@euescreengems.com

◊ 4Wall Entertainment is a full-service lighting company that specializes in providing the latest lighting instruments, moving lights, LED’s, dimmers, control systems, rigging and peripherals for television, film, theater and live events. Offices are located in NY, DC, LA, Phoenix and Las Vegas. Contact: Jerry Romano, jromano@4wall.com

This event is produced by Jerry Romano, Chairman - New York Emmy Awards

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]