FORUMS: list search recent posts

Advice lightning workshop

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
luigi tadiotto
Advice lightning workshop
on Jun 9, 2010 at 5:24:19 pm

Hi to everyone,
I'm looking for a good workshop/course in lightning, especially for commercials. I live in italy but i want to invest some of my time/money and go abroad. However i don't know who to adress and trust(school, courses, ect). I'm not starting from he begging, i need some focus on lightnig equipment for commercials, lenses in combination with cameras. I'm sure you are well informed and prepared, any advices?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Advice lightning workshop
on Jun 9, 2010 at 7:11:23 pm

Google " poweroflighting ". Bill is a wizard.

Return to posts index

luigi tadiotto
on Jun 13, 2010 at 12:38:53 pm

Thanks,
I know him, just a year ago i bought the complete dvd trainig series.
However i'm looking for something more specific; i.e. what kind of lenses are usually used with redone, arri d-21, ect... what kind of light to obtain different moods using this kind of lenses, what's the post-production workflow for color correction?

Return to posts index

Rick Wise
on Jun 13, 2010 at 6:31:16 pm

Have you tried to apply what you learned in that complete DVD set? One can go to school forever. Or, one can dive in and start shooting, learning as you go.

Your specific questions about lenses and post flow have little to do with lighting. In fact, really, nothing to do with lighting.

Lenses: In 35mm and on the Red One we use a large arsenal of lenses, from wide angles to telephotos. Some let you focus very close up (essential for table-top.) We use special lenses such as snorkels for special cases. Each has its own characteristics of field of view, depth of field, compression/expansion. The only way to learn about them is to use them, one by one.

Post flow: the post flow of the Red is very specific and different from film or other forms of video. If you want to be a DP, then a passing knowledge of post is good, but you don't need to know all the details. If you want to direct, then it's more important to learn more. In either case, consult the experts when you have something to go to post. Learn as you go.

Maybe what you need is a complete DP course with lots of hands-on. We have one here in San Francisco where I teach. There's at least one in France and in England, though i don't know anything about how hands on they are now.

Or, just start shooting. Make mistakes, learn. It's a great way to live if you can make it work financially, and will probably cost you a lot less than going to school.

Rick Wise
director of photography
San Francisco Bay Area
and part-time instructor lighting and camera
grad school, SF Academy of Art University/Film and Video
http://www.RickWiseDP.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/rwise
email: Rick@RickWiseDP.com

Return to posts index

luigi tadiotto
on Jun 13, 2010 at 7:03:37 pm

Hi Rick,
I work as a director/camera operator/DP in a medium video company offering national tv format and spot in italy, however i started as motion designer in after effects:)
As you can see, doing too may things here (italy) is the common practice, after years i need to specialize myself, but i cant find a course, after doing several ones, that go in deep in lightning, or better in the construction of the frame (lenses+camera+lightning).
I'm sure, looking to others colleagues, i need to spend some of my time abroad, speaking of and wieving different workflows engaged, as i sad, in the construction of the frame and try to "slide" my works activities towards cinematographic/commercials style and leave television.
I will appreciate to know the specification of the course in San Francisco

Return to posts index

Rick Wise
on Jun 13, 2010 at 10:51:25 pm

Luigi,

You can see course descriptions for both undergraduate classes and graduate classes here: http://catalog.academyart.edu/catalogBrowsing/landing/true/mode/ONCAMPUS.0.... The graduate (MS) classes start with number 600. I do NOT recommend you take online classes as you will not be working with higher-end cameras and lenses.

Given your extensive film and video background, I am dubious about school as a solution to your desires. If you look around you in Italy there must be more than one person doing the kind of work you want to do. I'd go and talk to each one and ask advice of how to expand your knowledge. If any offer you a temporary job in any position, I'd take it. That way you will get paid to learn. What could be better? If you strike out in Italy, try France, Spain, Germany, England. Or, come to Hollywood. If you have good people skills any of those apprentice roads should pay off for you.

If you still want to come to AAU, see if you can talk your way into taking a few classes such as 615, grad lighting (which I teach) and 646, grad cinematography 3. The University will want you to take lower-level classes but will waive that requirement if you can demonstrate enough knowledge.

Rick Wise
director of photography
San Francisco Bay Area
and part-time instructor lighting and camera
grad school, SF Academy of Art University/Film and Video
http://www.RickWiseDP.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/rwise
email: Rick@RickWiseDP.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]