FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lowel Riffa 66

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charles Mercer
Lowel Riffa 66
on Jun 3, 2010 at 1:06:22 pm

Lowel Riffa Light 66.
I've had trouble with another lampholder and I wonder if I'm doing something wrong. I seem to have a lot of trouble getting the bubble into the holder. There's a metal clip on one side of the holder, just above the holes where the bubble pins go in. And the darn thing is hard to get past to insert the pins.
Lowel replaced the first holder which had a split in the ceramic base, but the second one worked for approx. 30 hours and the the bubble went out. I inspected the bubble and found the wires were all in tact and there was no burning, so I suspected it hadn't blown. When I removed it, I found the base had another split in the ceramic material. Lowel have replaced the holder again and I put the same bubble back and it worked, so the holder seems to be the villain of the piece.
Is there a knack to bubble insertion I'm missing? - I should say I use latex gloves to hold the bubble. This is a great shame because I'm beginning to mis-trust this very useful piece of our gear.
Regards
Charles

Charles Mercer
Pearldrop Video Productions

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Lowel Riffa 66
on Jun 3, 2010 at 2:30:41 pm

Charles, you're probably not going to like this, but I think it's you. Somehow, you are jamming this thing too hard or something. We have something like six different Rifas here and have never seen this kind of problem, also, our lamps are lasting way longer than yours in the first place. The only flaws we see in ours is that the fiddly little umbrella tips for the tension ribs can come loose.

Assuming it was a bad holder the first time, I find it statistically unlikely they would send you another bad one. Though i suppsoe f they all came from one bad production lot, you could get a repeat. But logic is leading me to suspect your technique has a flaw in it somewhere. We just have to find out what that is.

If you could post a sequence of stills or better, a video clip of how you install the lamp, it may help diagnose what is really happening. You can use the forum tools here to post it.

Best of luck.

Return to posts index

Charles Mercer
on Jun 3, 2010 at 3:22:49 pm

Hi Mark, thanks for the quick response. I agree with you. I would be unlucky to get two duds in a a row, but I really can't see how else I can get these bubbles into the fitting. The little metal clip just stops the body of the lamp passing into the fitting to allow the pins to engage into the holes. Do the pins have to be in tight, or should a touch fit be adequate? As you say, we've had poor bubble life - max about thirty hours and are getting exasperated at the replacement cost. I wonder if we are using the same bubbles, as we are situated in UK - our bubble has a groove in the metal base which I presume has to seat onto the metal clip. Also, we are on 240v here, but I don't see why that should make a difference with correctly rated gear. If I can find some time, I'll try to get my pal Simon to film me putting a bubble in, but it sure ain't easy.
Regards
Charles

Charles Mercer

Return to posts index

Charles Mercer
on Jun 7, 2010 at 8:14:00 am

Hi marc

Just a thought - here's the code for the bubble we use in the Riffa
Showbiz Quartzline Halogen 88450 230-240W 0 043168 884501
650 Watt

This may mean nothing to you as you are on different voltage, but I'd be interested to have a look at the code on your bubbles. The bubble which failed last time is now back in the new fitting sent by the suppliers and has worked fine so far. This really makes the fitting suspect, but two in a row has to be really unlucky.

Regards
Charles

Charles Mercer

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 7, 2010 at 2:34:20 pm

Pictures, man!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved