FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can I shoot a tv interview with a photographic pro lights?

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gerardo Flores
Can I shoot a tv interview with a photographic pro lights?
on May 19, 2010 at 9:51:14 pm

Before say anything I just want to say that is amazing to
see so many experienced people talking and sharing ideas about this topics

OK
Now The crazy think :)
Hope no body will kill me here...

I have experience making portraits in a photo studio; as a Photographer I have those old
but very good speedotron light bronw sets and some soft boxes as well.

I need to make a video for a web site and I will like to see the face of the interviewee as nice
as my portraits ( Im use to make pictures of commun people so I quite treined to use the lights in the
best way ;- )

BUT... I dont have a tv video ligths set...

-Can I don the footage using my speedotron unit?
-what is the main difference between the photo and video lighting?
-witch will be the basics set to make a pro light interview ( face-background-hair -etc )
-can you make a pro light footage using natural light and some help like Collapsible Reflectors?

Im sorry if the questions is too "silly"
But thank you for the help.

Best Regards

Gerardo

learning after effects

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Can I shoot a tv interview with a photographic pro lights?
on May 19, 2010 at 10:10:02 pm

The question is not silly.

Lighting is lighting, whether it be for motion photography or still photography.... as long as it is continuous lighting.

And all the lighting tools, tips, tricks, and techniques that you use to create great portraits can be effective in cinematography as well.

BUT....

Now, being primarily a cinematographer and not a still photographer I'm a little unsure of this... but aren't Speedotron instruments all strobe lights? I was not aware that Speedotron made any continuous lights, but it sounds like they might.

So yes, you can use photographic lights for motion... but of course just with the exception of strobes, obviously.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 19, 2010 at 10:27:44 pm

Some of those strobes have a continuous output mode that you can use to help direct and shape the beam in real-time, instead of having to take repeated expeimental flashes and then look at the stills to judge the lighting. But that kind of mode doesn't have very high output, compared to a purpose-made video light of similar type. I think that may be what he's gettting at. I used to see one like that in our still photo lab: you could use it like a small video light, but then you could still trigger the flash as well.

And yes, you can use a soft box from still photography for use with video lights, BUT... and this is important: the ones made just for stills may not be able to take the continuous heat generated by a video fixture, if they were only made for use with flashes. So be careful to keep the soft box well-vented and monitor closely for melting or signs of incipient combustion.

Return to posts index

Gerardo Flores
on May 19, 2010 at 10:36:24 pm

Mark write:

"Some of those strobes have a continuous output mode that you can use to help direct and shape the beam in real-time, instead of having to take repeated expeimental flashes and then look at the stills to judge the lighting"

do you mean the modeling ligths? the speedotron unit have a modul that we use to setup the ligths
in the best way ( we use to called "modeling lights" ... are this lights goods for video footage?

thank both of you for this nice answers

learning after effects

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on May 19, 2010 at 10:54:22 pm

Yes Gerardo... those are called modeling lights just about everywhere.

Unfortunately, though, I've never seen strobes that had modeling lights that were anywhere near bright enough for video work. In fact most of them are extremely dim, for use in a dark studio... most are only a few watts.

While your other gear (stands, reflectors, flags, bounces, etc) will all work fine for motion photography... I don't believe the instruments themselves will lend themselves to that. It's just not what they were made for.

You'll need some continuous lighting.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Gerardo Flores
on May 20, 2010 at 8:22:03 am

:( thank you Todd

Todd...
and what about natural lighting helped with some Collapsible Reflectors?

My Father use to say that natural lighting is the best for make nice pictures...
He was this fists photographers who use to go in his town taking pictures of people
in the earlier 1940 before opens a proper studio.

I know the natural light has some limits
But what do you think?

Do you have any continius lighting that you can recomend?
something GOOD ( not necesary something expensive )
for example a lot of people doesnt like ( or prefer more expensive light kits than ) Speedotron
but we were shooting tons of pictures and those lights never dissanpoint us ...

Thank you Todd
Have a nice day

Gerardo

learning after effects

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]