FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lighting a music video with metal halide Lights

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tom smith
Lighting a music video with metal halide Lights
on May 9, 2010 at 6:51:19 pm

Hello,

I have to shoot an indie music video and I need a powerful alternative to those HMI Lights to shoot in daylight.
I'm planning on getting two 1000 watt metal halide lights with ballasts and long throw parabolic reflectors. Would these lights be powerful enough to fill or overpower the sun? Like 4pm in the tropics?

Also could fast firing strobes with a short recycle time be an alternative?

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: Lighting a music video with metal halide Lights
on May 9, 2010 at 10:01:01 pm

Tom,

Wrong and wrong, unless you either want to arc weld your talent or spend more on strobe lights than the proper equipment.

The best gear for "lighting" in day exteriors is grip equipment; 12x12'(or larger) silks overhead and grifflins or silver lame to reflect light into your backlit subject.

This equipment needs to be operated by skilled grips for safety and you'll need rope, spikes and sandbags galore in addition to high roller stands and therefore a truck to transport it all, but one can often get a good price on a proper grip truck package from an owner operator.

The alternative of using lights still requires a large crew for the cable and generator needed on location.

JS

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
on May 9, 2010 at 10:33:32 pm

No.....
Unless you can shoot with the sun as your "key light", you will need to stretch a very large silk, or hang several large butterflys that you've rigged with condors, to control the overpowering sun.
You will also need several 18kw HMI PARS as key lights and a few 12kw HMI's to fill in.

DS

Return to posts index

tom smith
on May 9, 2010 at 11:51:38 pm

good advice there is no cheap way out of this. I have access to large scrims and 12 x 20' reflectors I'll have to go with the scrim option because I live on a tiny island and don't have access to 12kw HMI lights.

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
on May 10, 2010 at 1:16:37 am

Silks will service you far better than scrims.

DS

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on May 10, 2010 at 2:56:00 am

Tom,

In places with out convention grip equipment support, you can often find a white silk parachute to use as an overhead.

JS

Return to posts index

tom smith
on May 10, 2010 at 4:02:49 am

yes I'm going to use silk. It's a beach scene with two models and a male singer. The other shots will be done in studio and I should have enough power for that.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on May 10, 2010 at 2:00:56 pm

You say you're on an island? Call the local marina, boatyard, yacht club, etc, and you might be able to score some sailcloth one way or another. Not as good as a pro silk, but better than nothing... You might be able to rent or borrow a spinnaker or a Genoa Jib. They already come with fittings on their corners to clip ropes to.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]