FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lighting under a party tent

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark D'Agostino
Lighting under a party tent
on Apr 27, 2010 at 4:30:25 pm

I will be shooting a project with about 20 people in an outdoor daytime party in front of a store. They're all standing, mingling, gas grilling, cutting a large cake, etc. We'll be doing mostly medium and close shots; longer lens stuff. I'll be shooting hand held and have total control over the actions and the direction the talent face. I need to see some of the store front in the background and will want to get at least a shot or two where their store sign can be seen in the background, (the top of the sign is about 10-12' high off the ground, attached to the storefront).

That all is pretty straightforward. Here's the hitch. Because the weather forecast is iffy for all the available dates I was thinking of renting a 20'x40' white party tent without side walls, plus a 20x20 tent for workspace, (These are the largest available that can be set up in a parking lot without stakes). The perimeter side openings are 9 feet tall from the ground to the bottom edge of the roof and I can get a 20' uninterrupted opening without a post in the way.

My plan is to rent a genny and a 6K HMI and bounce it into the ceiling of the tent. I'd also set up some direct 1200W rim lights inside the tent. I plan to keep the "party" grouped to one side of the tent to allow space for the lights inside and block my action accordingly, (I never need to see all 20 people at the same time). If it turns out to be a nice day, I'll cancel the tent and extra lights, pay the cancellation fees and be happy.

Does anyone have any suggestions, beyond what I've outlined that could improve upon my plan?

Thanks a bunch!

Mark D'Agostino
http://www.synergeticproductions.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Lighting under a party tent
on Apr 27, 2010 at 8:24:15 pm

I suppose this could work. If the weather is bad enough to need the tent, the sky outside surrounding the building is going to show it. What does that do for the imagery you're trying to get? Were you just going to completely crop the scene so there is no visible sky at all? You would then still have a noteable difference in color balance and brightness between the area under the tent and outside on the building face. Maybe not a huge deal if you can color-correct it.

If there is no way on Earth you can re-schedule, then I guess this is your insurance policy. Mind you, those tents take considerable time and labor to raise as well as to strike, and you must be prepared to look like a fool if you put them up and the weather holds okay or if you cancel them last-minute and eat the cost last-minute. And if it pours buckets, you STILL won't be able to use the shot, even though everyone is dry. Sometimes, you just can't win.

This may be one of those situations where it is easier to re-write the script concept than try to execute without any rain days.

You could also shoot an HDR high rez still plate or motion back of the storefront on your own in good weather, then chromakey the people in later, in a studio setting, if the people shoot sday turns out rainy. Cost wise might work out about the same price.

Return to posts index

Mark D'Agostino
on Apr 27, 2010 at 8:58:31 pm

Thanks Mark! All your points are spot on. However, I can't reschedule, it's the client's concept so we're trying to avoid pushing for change at this point, I'll only see building in bkgnd, no sky,shots are MS to CU, the tent guy knows the situation and is keeping it cheap. We do have a four day window but if it pours buckets all four then we'll have a serious sit down with client. He's actually a very good client and flexible. I'm typing this as snow is actually falling. Upstate New York is an exterior shooter's paradise. Your green screen idea is a good plan C. We do a lot of that. I'd just have to give up the hand held look because tracking would be too costly. I'll let you know what happens.

Mark D'Agostino

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 28, 2010 at 3:20:28 pm

Do let us know, I am very curious as to how that would work out.

The "Lock and Load" motion tracking plug-in by Core Melt is supposed to be the shizzle: you tell me you are willing to rent HMI's and tents, purely as disposable, billable back-ups to a rain-out, but $150 for a motion tracker you can re-use over and over is too much money? Something doesn't add up there.

You might spend that much just on the snack/lunch table for this shoot. You should buy it, and bill the client for half of it. Consider it an investment and addition to your arsenal of "plan b,c,d," etc.

Return to posts index

Mark D'Agostino
on Apr 28, 2010 at 6:43:24 pm

Message received loud and clear and I agree. Thanks Mark.

Mark D'Agostino

Return to posts index

Mark D'Agostino
on May 26, 2010 at 8:02:33 pm

The weather did indeed turn sour and we decided to shoot the whole thing inside the store. Of course after we had shot a couple scenes and were committed to indoors the rain stopped, clouds cleared and it turned out to be a super sunny day. We did shoot a few exteriors though. Thanks for your input. We will check out "Lock and Load".

Mark D'Agostino

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]