FORUMS: list search recent posts

Will these lights give me the infinite white?

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jay Soriano
Will these lights give me the infinite white?
on Apr 2, 2010 at 8:37:15 pm

I'm looking to light a 10ft white backdrop for an infinite white look. Was wondering if 2 of these lights is trong enough and give enough spread to light the white screen? Actor will be shot full body.

http://www.coollights.biz/clsft1p-speed-softbox-5600k-stand-p-134.html

I know the flo banks will do the job but I'm looking for a cheaper alternative from a legitimate seller.

Thanks for your feedback.

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: Will these lights give me the infinite white?
on Apr 6, 2010 at 1:53:45 am

Which dimension is the 10ft? What are the other dimensions? My guess would be that two of those lights are not anywhere near enough to get a good "infinite white?".

You might want to check this out: There is likely much more information online about lighting "infinite white".

IMHO, you are painting yourself right into a (dark) corner with your requirement for "legitimate seller" and "cheaper alternative".

Return to posts index

Jay Soriano
on Apr 6, 2010 at 2:29:07 pm

Hi Richard,

It will be 10' wide. Height can go as high as 10-14'. I already saw that infinite white video. Just seems like too much time to setup all those bulbs.

As for cheaper lights from a legitimate seller, i've heard nothing but good things about coollightz quality and customer service. What would you suggest if those two softboxes won't give me that infinite white background? thanks for responding!

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Apr 6, 2010 at 2:46:01 pm

"As for cheaper lights from a legitimate seller, i've heard nothing but good things about coollightz quality and customer service. What would you suggest if those two softboxes won't give me that infinite white background? thanks for responding!"

No question that CoolLights is a good vendor and makes nice equipment. But it would take more like 10-12 of them rather than 2 of them. You don't particularly need softboxes to light a white background because the background itself does the "softening".

"Just seems like too much time to setup all those bulbs."

But it is precisely "all those bulbs" that gets a broad and even illumination of the background. There is no known substitute for that.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Apr 6, 2010 at 2:53:00 pm

Yep, "Just seems like too much time to setup all those bulbs," is not usually a comment you hear from someone who wants to do it well and do it right.

A very large white limbo space like that is one of the more challenging environments to light and light well. It's not kidstuff... it takes both skill and the right kind (and right amount) of equipment to do it. You'll need a lot more (and better) instruments than a couple of small softboxes.

I'd personally suggest flos, even if you have to do it on the cheap and use inexpensive $15 shop lights from Home Depot (though I would suggest putting real Kino tubes in them).

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Jay Soriano
on Apr 6, 2010 at 3:07:10 pm

Will two of either of these give me broad even illumination for the background?

http://www.coollights.biz/cl255p-cool-lights-portable-watt-softlight-p-66.h...

http://www.coollights.biz/cl455p-cool-lights-portable-watt-softlight-p-67.h...

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Apr 7, 2010 at 1:36:17 am

"Will two of either of these give me broad even illumination for the background?"

Those are nice lights. But there aren't TWO of *anything* that will give you "broad even illumination" for infinite white.

For about the same amount of money you could buy 6-8 ordinary "shop lights" and put good Kino (or similar) tubes in them. Be sure to use the kind with electronic ballasts, and not the old buzzy magnetic kind.

I don't see how you can light infinite white with two fixtures, no matter how good, expensive (or even large) they are. If you don't like our advice, try it for yourself. Some people just have to experience failure for themselves.

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
on Apr 7, 2010 at 5:14:51 am

I've done several white cycs (not to mention greenscreen cycs) over the years. Two lights would certainly work for your little backdrop -- if they're 8'-0" x one or two lamp Kino Flos.
If you don't have AC or power problems do it the "old fashioned" (and CHEAP) way -- with inexpensive scoops, or cyc lights.
I've posted a couple photos showing an infinite white cyc I lit for the ISSAC MIZRAHI SHOW (Oxygen Network). If memory serves, I had about 30 double cell cyc lights; but I was also 18 feet high and about 50 feet long.

Dennis

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
on Apr 7, 2010 at 5:20:17 am

Here are the photos for your reference.
DS

682_isaactalkingwithheatherheadleyjpg.mht.zip

683_issacwideshotjpg.mht.zip

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Apr 7, 2010 at 5:13:08 pm

Hopefully Mr. Soriano realizes that additional lights are needed for the foreground person/object.

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
on Apr 8, 2010 at 3:45:17 am

Hmm.... I sure as hell hope so.

DS

Return to posts index

Jay Soriano
on Apr 8, 2010 at 4:24:44 am

Yes,

I'm experienced in lighting subjects/backgrounds. I just have never lighted for an inifinite white background so that was my focuson how to light the background.. thank you for your feedback. =)

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
on Apr 8, 2010 at 4:34:05 am

Unfortunately you don't have the room for spacelights -- which would be ideal -- but since your ceiling height is so small you could also try Chimera pancakes ....which I've had great success with.

DS

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]