FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lighting for Filming Painters

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chuck Pullen
Lighting for Filming Painters
on Mar 31, 2010 at 6:46:18 pm

I am going to be filming a concert, multi-camera HD and there is going to be a group of "Avant Garde" painters each painting a panel which will be put together at the end of the song to form a mural. I keep thinking that I am going to need to find special paint and use some special lighting techniques to get the colors to really "pop" on screen (Think Blue Man Group) The shoot will be taking place in a room designed for theater, so the lighting is mostly basic par-cans & mini-spots.

Anyone have any thoughts on the lighting or the paint?

Thanks,
Chuck Pullen

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Lighting for Filming Painters
on Apr 1, 2010 at 3:34:52 pm

The wet paint and canvas may get too reflective; I'd actually try to steer away from anything too avant-garde on the lighting. You also don't want to mess with the painter's own color perceptions. Flat even lighting on the canvas areas, with dark surrounding them to help "frame" them should give plenty of "pop" by itself. But that's just my own opinion. Your bigger issue will be how to light and shoot around the artists as they work, without shading the canvas too much.

Return to posts index

Chuck Pullen
on Apr 1, 2010 at 4:33:05 pm

Hey Mark, thanks for the reply. The shadows are definitely a concern for me. Since the stage is essentially a flat in the center of the room, my thought would be to have the artists standing on the floor, the easels on the flat, and they would have to reach up to paint. We can adjust the easels so they won't have to strain to reach the top of the canvas. I was thinking about lighting from overhead maybe slightly behind the artist to put the shadow from the artists arm down below the canvas. I also have been toying around with the idea of adding a hazer to soften and help even things out.

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Apr 1, 2010 at 4:43:25 pm

I don't know how translucent artist's canvases are, but if the canvas was stretched out on a frame, maybe you could light it from behind –through the canvas.

Jason Jenkins

Flowmotion Media

Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

Chuck Pullen
on Apr 1, 2010 at 5:38:49 pm

That's an awesome idea! We planned on using the easels that they already have, but I may have to try that out, thanks!

Chuck

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
on Apr 2, 2010 at 4:17:27 am

Jason's idea is truly perfect! Hopefully you can manage it.
I would suggest using ellipsoidals (lekos) to backlight the canvases. The best choice would be an ETC 50 degree 750w Source 4 junior on a base plate behind the painting. It has a lot of punch and you'll be able to shutter it very nicely into the frame of the canvas.
You'll want to put each canvas/leko on it's own dimmer so you can control each work of art separately.
I would also suggest using a very soft wash as your frontlight. Since I doubt that the space has any fluorescents, or softlights, you should make a diffusion flat, hang it overhead, and focus your PAR Cans into it. You could also get a large piece of silk or lightweight muslin, stretch it overhead and light your painters/canvases via PARS focused through the fabric.
Another helpful gimmick would be to mix some fluorescent colored paint in with the paint colors your artists use. That would help reflect the colors back into the camera and nullify the normally flat looking colors.

Do some testing and have fun with it.

DS

Return to posts index

Chuck Pullen
on Apr 2, 2010 at 1:08:27 pm

Wow Dennis, I couldn't have asked for a better answer! Thanks everyone for your insight I can't wait to send a copy of your posts to the lighting people to see if we can pull this off. According to a couple of sites, Blue Man group uses Tempera paint in the drums which as Dennis mentioned mixing in some fluorescent paint and the proper backlighting should achieve the look I'm going for.

Chuck

Return to posts index

Dennis Size
on Apr 2, 2010 at 9:16:15 pm

Remember, you need to find the perfect balance between the backlight behind the easels (which will certainly make them "pop") and the frontlight neccessary to allow the colors to "read" properly. Be cautious that there's not an excessive amount of backlight, otherwise the painted areas turn into silhouettes, and your fluorescent color will be wasted.

DS

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Apr 16, 2010 at 1:28:00 pm

The canvas may be somewhat translucent, but the paint may not be. Or it may not be in the thickness that they are using. If they are using paint with some "body" like thick acrylic or oil paints (from tubes), then the paint becomes relatively opaque with a bit of thickness. Some avant-garde painters really lay it on thick with knives and even trowels and I wouldn't expect that kind of thing to hold up very well with back-light.

OTOH, maybe you can develop a whole new phenomenon with the artists/performers. Something with canvases (which don't necessarily need to be made of heavy canvas fabric) stretched over frames that fit on top of LED panels. There are all sorts of effects you could do with paint colors and light colors. And then there is also UV and fluorescent paint as has already been mentioned.

Return to posts index

Chuck Pullen
on Apr 16, 2010 at 1:40:16 pm

Hi Richard, it seems that you are right about these artists using Acrylic paints, and since they are "finger painting" I am assuming it will go on thick. Backlighting may be out, and may have to stick to overheads as mentioned before.

If this wasn't a one time shot, I really would have liked trying the "shadow box" idea you're suggesting, but that would involve investing in about ten battery powered led lights and building custom frames since the canvases need to be moved. It would be great to start a new "phenomenon" in filming painters, but at this point with the lighting available and my budget I will be happy just getting them all lit well enough for HD!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]