FORUMS: list search recent posts

LED & White balance

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dmitriy Dribinskiy
LED & White balance
on Mar 10, 2010 at 5:17:15 pm

Hello, I just got a Switronix LED 5600K light - TL-50. It comes with set of filters including 3200°K orange one). I am new to LED, so my question is - what is the proper way to set a white balance for the indoor shooting? I saw somebody’s video shot with LED and it looked kind of cool/bluish. Should I use a different color white balance card? Also, occasionally I shoot with 2 cameras and my second light is a Frezzolini micro fill. Wouldn't be a problem shooting the same scene with mixed lights from 2 different cameras? If yes, are there any tricks to avoid the problems? Thank you!

Return to posts index

Hunter Mossman
Re: LED & White balance
on Mar 10, 2010 at 6:08:32 pm

Every Situation is different. But if your setting your WB for basic indoor 3200 K lighting then:
-Attache your 3200K filter to your light.
-Hold a white card completely covering the frame.
-Expose properly for the card.
-Take your WB

If your mixing a different light source form another camera you'll want to do your best to match the 3200K your light is putting out. Assuming the other light is daylight balanced, add some 1/4 or 1/2 CTO to the other fixture until it looks close or reads 3200K. Now with both lights on your subject take a WB. It may take some time and tests to dial the colors of the 2 different lights. Make sure you have some 1/2, 1/4, and Full of CTO and CTB to add to each fixture. The filters that came with your light are probably the same or very similar to the steps of color Gel I just mentioned.

Good luck!

Hunter Mossman
Director of Photography
http://www.huntermossman.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]