FORUMS: list search recent posts

Low power portable theatrical lighting

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Galli
Low power portable theatrical lighting
on Mar 1, 2010 at 9:50:48 pm

Aloha all!

Way back in undergrad, I was a theatre lighting guy. Even won a couple of regional awards. Then I graduated, got a job in video, and haven't looked back for decades.

Things change. My boo has started a new theatre company, one with a commitment to "in your space" theatre. And, in the process, drafted me as both the video guy and the lighting guy.

As far as I can tell, what "in your space" really means is "no heavy wiring." Most of the spaces we've examined have only 2 or 3 circuits, and those are typical 15 amp household breakers.

So, thus begins the search. I need a lighting system that:
1. is portable
2. uses very little power
3. is DMX compatible
4. costs no money

Obviously #4 is an issue, but for purposes of this discussion, we can ignore it. Thankfully, I am not the business manager!

I have, of course, done some Google searches on the subject, and found more information than I can categorize, much less assimilate. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Mahalo,
Tom G

The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Low power portable theatrical lighting
on Mar 2, 2010 at 4:37:46 pm

I was going to suggest 12-volt automobile headlights, until you asked for DMX control :-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]