FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tips for managing and storing gels?

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Ward
Tips for managing and storing gels?
on Feb 24, 2010 at 9:55:21 pm

I have a growing inventory of gels. Currently, I keep them "organized" in a sandwich of cardboard, gaffer's tape, and spring binding clips. It works, but there has to be something better. What are some of the methods you guys use? I should add that this is for field production and not fixed/studio purposes. One thought I had was some sort of multi-pocket binder, where I could organize by CTO, CTB, diffusion, etc. Any tips/suggestions are welcomed!

Thanks,
Tim

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Tips for managing and storing gels?
on Feb 24, 2010 at 11:07:41 pm

We use our own homemade versions of the store-bought Gelly Rolls like these...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Gelly-Rolls/ci/1749/N/4294550983

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Feb 25, 2010 at 12:09:19 am

I use Gelly Rolls as well. It's really just PVC Pipe with caps on the ends. The hollow core is a nice place to store C-47s or small binder clips. The rest is just a vinyl pocket that wraps around the core.

Make your own or buy one to see how they're made. I don't have time to separate gels much, so I just always carry a bunch of CTO, CTB, Plus and Minus green, diffusion and some ND in mine, all mixed up.

Only major flaw in the commercial ones is that after a while, the elastic loops that hold it together get stretched out.

Such is life.

The big bonus is that it fits nicely on the shelf over the stands pocket in a standard Arri kit.

Return to posts index

Hunter Mossman
on Feb 25, 2010 at 12:33:32 am

For scraps, I use a milk crate with cardboard dividers separating CTO, CTB, Diffusion, +- Green, etc. Each scrap rolled individually with a c47 clipped onto the end. For 4' sheets I use and old beat up Tripod bag as a "gelly" roll.

Hunter Mossman
Director of Photography
http://www.huntermossman.com

Return to posts index

Tim Ward
on Feb 25, 2010 at 5:26:19 pm

Thanks for the responses, guys! I'm going to look into the Gelly Rolls - that looks like it'd work well for me.

Tim

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]