FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kit suggestions

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cade Muhlig
Kit suggestions
on Feb 24, 2010 at 9:06:56 pm

Hey,
I was hoping I could get some help on choosing a lighting kit. We want to get some lights to make a small studio in a garage for 1 person interviews sitting, or one person standing and talking. It needs to be mobile. We've got a litepanels mini camera mount light for on the go, but it's obviously very limited.
Budget is around $1200 for starting.
I'm interested in the rifa 66ex. And Lowel has that in a pro package, which comes with a 750 watt pro light, case and all.

So the rifa as a key, a reflector as a fill, and the 750 watt as the backlight. This seems ok, but if I wanted to have flat light, seems I would need another rifa. correct?
so maybe i could get that package with an extra small rifa.
Is the rifa going to be broad enough for a standing 6ft person?
Any other kit suggestions?
Much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Cade Muhlig
Re: Kit suggestions
on Feb 25, 2010 at 1:38:10 am

well if no one wants to dissect my post, could someone recommend what i could buy for around $1200? keep might be about to find used equipment.
what would your choice be for one person interview or one presenter standing?

Return to posts index

cowcow
Rick Wise
on Feb 25, 2010 at 3:56:09 am

I suspect the reason that no one has chimed in is that this topic has been discussed over and over and over again. Have you done a search in the Cow database for "lighting kit"? Try that. Also try BHPhotovideo.com and type lighting kit in the search box. Then set the order from least expensive to most. Work your way up. Try BOTH.

Rick Wise
director of photography
San Francisco Bay Area
and part-time instructor lighting and camera
grad school, SF Academy of Art University/Film and Video
http://www.RickWiseDP.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/rwise
email: Rick@RickWiseDP.com

Return to posts index

Cade Muhlig
on Feb 25, 2010 at 4:09:22 am

no, ive read just about all of them. just trying to get a final confirmation. ive done my research

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 25, 2010 at 3:13:08 pm

As the designated Lowel fanboy, I'd say the Rifa will work well for this, we use it often for stand-up interviews in the field, often all by itself, because the wrap-around of the softbox is that good. If you can afford it, I would go bigger and get the next size up.

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Feb 26, 2010 at 6:59:50 pm

photofloods and china lanterns

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcow
Fernando Mol
on Feb 27, 2010 at 6:12:52 am

When I'm on low budget I use my photoflood kit (two lamps with umbrellas) for the key and fill of the subject. For backlight and backgrounds I use halogen work lights. Very cheap, but very hot.

*Always share a link to your site and rate the posts. This is a free service for you and for us.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcow
Richard Herd
on Feb 27, 2010 at 7:05:45 pm

It also has a nice look to it because the photofloods are tungsten on the subject and the background has a bit of green spike. Not so shabby, IMO.

Return to posts index

Cade Muhlig
on Mar 4, 2010 at 3:10:03 am

So i decided to go with the Rifa 88 kit, which includes a flow kit adapter with fluorescent bulbs, and a 200 watt pro light. This will be good for primary source of light, as well as being rather portable. For the small studio, ill have to fill in the rest of the space with some cheaper lights for the fill and background. i also got a white/gold reflector to compliment the rifa when needed.
thanks guys

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]