FORUMS: list search recent posts

lumen value for a small green screen studio

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Erik Abel
lumen value for a small green screen studio
on Feb 2, 2010 at 8:20:31 pm

First of all, you guys were a huge help in the past, so thank you.

Now on to the fun stuff. Quick update of my situation. I am working for a non-profit. We are building a small green screen studio to shoot mostly "sitting a desk" single subject videos which we will later use to chroma key in interactive backgrounds for online training purposes. My question for today is about lumen value. For this purpose, would 3200 or 5100 lumen bulbs work better. My gut reaction was to stay with the 3200 due to the intimate space i have to work with (15x10). The most that the space may accomadate is a 2 subject full shot, but that would not be for a long time, and if additional lighting was necessary, it could be purchased in the future.

Any thoughts? Am i going the complete wrong way with this?

Erik

Return to posts index

Erik Abel
Re: lumen value for a small green screen studio
on Feb 3, 2010 at 1:16:26 pm

I may be confusing lumens for degree kelvins. I'm new to this and very excited about being involved. There is just a ton of information and distrutors out there. Any help at this point would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Hunter Mossman
on Feb 4, 2010 at 1:31:59 am

You are confusing lumens with color temperature. I would say stick to 3200K for all your fixtures. What lighting fixtures are you thinking of going with? What's your budget like?

Hunter Mossman
Director of Photography
http://www.huntermossman.com

Return to posts index

Erik Abel
on Feb 8, 2010 at 5:17:15 pm

The room is going to be set up to do basic green screen filminig of one person with one camera. The plan is to paint a ten foot wall with chroma key paint. The plan is to put two 4 foot bays of 2 flourecents (hopefully KinoFlo) 3200 k bays directly above the green screen to light the green screen. The subject will be lit by a basic three point set. We are leaning towards a 3200 cool flo kit from imagewest.com. I work for a non-profit so i don't have an extensive budget. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Hunter Mossman
on Feb 8, 2010 at 11:59:34 pm

Erik,

Sounds like you've got a pretty good plan. You might want to get the Green Kino tubes to go in your background fixtures. This will give you and extra pop on your green wall and make keying a breeze. Just make sure you keep your subject away from the wall a bit to avoid any spill.

As for your 3 point setup for your subject. I'm not familiar with those kit's in particular but I will say that you might want to go with cheaper fixtures for your green wall and spend the $ on a couple Kino's and a small ARRI Fresnel (backlight) for your subject since these will be adjusted and moved around a bit. Your Flo's for the green could be anything.

Hunter Mossman
Director of Photography
http://www.huntermossman.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]