FORUMS: list search recent posts

Matching Light Types

COW Forums : Lighting Design

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
scott norton
Matching Light Types
on Jan 26, 2010 at 4:34:17 pm

Definitely a novice here:

We film a project in a recording studio with a large room - all white sheet rock walls (other than the massive amount of instruments strewn around the room).

I have recently acquired 2 Lowel Omni Lights with Tungsten bulbs. The other lights that we use in the room are commercial halogen/incandescent floods and typical bulbs.

My question is: Is there an easy way to gel the Omni lights so that they match the other lights in the room? Right out of the gate they are more white than the others (which appear more yellow to me) Any particular color which helps create a more uniform ambient light?

Any other suggestions?

Any help is much appreciated.

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: Matching Light Types
on Jan 26, 2010 at 5:12:42 pm

Hi Scott,

Practical globes burn at about 2900K for long life, whereas photographic globes burn at 3200 for correct color rendering. To match the two you can use 1/8 or 1/4 CTO or else use dimmers on your Tota's to "warm" them up with lower voltage. One must exercise caution when gelling open faced and notoriously "hot" units like totas so as not to burn the gel and start a fire. Alternatively it is often possible to find 2900K globes to put in the light itself, these are often available in order to use motion picture lights for architectural purposes.

JS

Return to posts index

scott norton
on Jan 27, 2010 at 4:20:13 pm

Thanks so much. I will certainly look into the CTOs - and I already have one dimmer, and will possibly pick up a second.

Sounds like it might be safest to place the gel a little ways away from the light source to protect it from the heat. The lights I have come with a frame for attaching such items - and places it a few inches off the light. Would that be enough?

You mentioned Totas, which I thought were different (longer tube like lights). The ones I have are square boxes, include barn doors, and are round opening. Am I just confusing my terminology?

This is the light: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/32177-REG/Lowel_O1_13_Omni_Light_500_...

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Jan 27, 2010 at 4:36:42 pm

Yeah sorry, Omni's. They burn hot too and if you attach the gel to the doors it'll melt and possibly burn too. That's why they have the gel frames you mentioned. I'd really look into the possibility of finding 2900K globes and then using some white diffusion like Lee 216 or 250 in the gel frame too to improve the quality of the light. This type of diffusion is even more heat resistant than color correction gels like CTO and CTB.

JS

Return to posts index

scott norton
on Jan 27, 2010 at 4:43:10 pm

Thanks, this is all great info!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]